Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jumpin critters  (Read 3545 times)

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
jumpin critters
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:26:25 pm »

ok, so im ok at Dwarf Fortress (yea horrible) and made my place into a complete lockdown mode, only way in are through the main door across a bridge (which i can then open so that its a moat around it so im safe from the font and the back is protected from 2 bridge, 3 seige engine, and a dozens and dozens of cage traps, then spike traps,

but i have a aboveground farm "thats underground" and i walled it off, so its 2 storage high, and only a single stair to get to it, but some how, freken animals keep on gettign into it, harrasing me and makeing me use my army to chase them off (cause my army is very slow compart to a man grasshopper)

how high do i need to make my wall so animals can stop getting in
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: jumpin critters
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »

Animals don't jump, so if creatures are getting in, there must be a hole in your defenses somewhere.

The one exception is if the creatures getting in are vermin-sized creatures (which include grasshoppers, but not grasshopper men).  Vermin-sized creatures teleport around the map randomly appearing in any space which is included in the kinds of areas they like to appear in.  You can't keep them out, but they're also almost completely harmless.  The worst they can do is nibble on food.  To get rid of them, make a pasture zone over your farms and assign a cat to it, and they'll hunt the vermin.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Darksilverhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »

Do you mean you're having flying creatures getting in? Build a roof over the top of your walled in farming area. That will stop anything from getting in from the outside.
When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:59:17 pm »

If there are flying creatures around, your farmers see them in the sky and get scared. A roof over the farm will still let you farm and secure your fort better.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 03:12:59 pm »

hmm, a roof never thought of that... thanks

well i guess i better look for more stone

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:14:48 pm »

hmm, a roof never thought of that... thanks

well i guess i better look for more stone

If you dont have enough stone, you are clearly doing it wrong.
This is a blank sig.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:17:51 pm »

no i had a surplus earler, and i needed to make room, cause i needed to clear the nobels room from rocks, and nobody was picking it up so i made a 20X20 thats 7 storage high (and the lives of around 15 dwarves) to use up all my rocks... and i made the massive 30X30 above ground farm thats 2 storage high... so yea im sort of short on mineral but i think i have alot of jet laying around

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 03:20:12 pm »

im a slight perfectionist, so i want to use the same color for the roof, and i use all my microlite (which i use to build the structure) but i can use jet and mica as roof cause it has the same color

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:28:15 am »

I like to use similar rocks too, especially similar colored hatches. 

One thing you might want to do is set a traffic pattern of L for low, on your farm plot, to keep from trampling the plants.  Some dwarfs really hate certain critters and react when they see one.  A kitty pen over your farm might just do the trick.  Just don't forget to let them out, when you open the floodgate and irrigate it to save on pot.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 02:53:44 am »

its an underground "above ground" farm plot. the entire floor is covered in clay alowwing easy acess to make multiple farms (mass farming), i never liked irrigatoin, so i just made it all on clay, and if i need more room i just dig a room in the rock lyers, build a massive thing (to waste all the rocks) and then move all the stuff there, and i just build 1 quadrent (which is actully very huge), so im good on food, in fact i don't even need any animals (slaughters almost all but cats and dogs) though i think i need to make a new Quadrent cause i ran out of black color rocks

time to make a 6X6 section, in a 4X4 format, with 4 tile wide hallway, surounding, and then make it 4 more times (thats 1 quadrent = 4900 blocks of pure uselessness)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »

I've been tinkering with a training hall, in a 4/7 murky pool.  The one access ramp I left down, has a plate, that triggers the 3x3 danger area training spears, in the pool aswell.  There is a water triggered plate down there, to open a flood gate, when it reaches 5/7.  I don't know if this raises their swimming or not, but it sure cleans them off, between battles.  That flood gate, irrigates my underground farm.  Depending on the rain, I sometimes have to activate the activity zone(pond), above the murky pool, in order to get them to refill it.  Its fun to watch.  Ya need a good 11x11 or larger farm, sometimes it drains for a long time, do to storms.   I leave the murky tiles on the ground, wish I could make more of those.  I bet you do, too.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 05:17:35 pm »

lol, my training area is fairly simpl, one area to go, but in order to go in you must enter the 1X6 danger room hallway, its a good way to get them training. only thing i don't like is that it is filled with clay (from an earlier roof in) and i have no idea how to get rid of it

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 08:58:47 pm »

Paint a dump activity zone.  Then flag the stone for dumping, d.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 09:05:53 pm »

i don't mind the stone, its the massive amount of clay in my tower causing trees to grow on the 10th floor