Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noble punishing everyone?  (Read 648 times)

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noble punishing everyone?
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:09:24 am »

So my noble (barony) just punished about 13 citizens for either violation of production order, or more frequently for violation of export prohibition (or both, in one case). She had a production order (make bracelets) before the caravan arrived, and I fulfilled that. About when the caravan arrived, she removed the mandate and had no mandates, so I traded. I traded what I usually do, hundreds of human, elf, and dwarf trophies (crowns, earrings, bracelets...) that were dropped by a goblin in my drowning trap (originally there were 3077 trophies, now I've atom-smashed or traded most of them away). AFTER I was done trading (some times after, but not after the caravan left) she prohibited the export of bracelets, and I thought I was fine because I had already traded them. Now, some months after, I'm getting job cancellations, I find out a few dwarves were imprisoned, I check the justice screen, and 1/4 of my population is scheduled for prison time for the reasons I already mentioned... WHAT IS GOING ON?!? My fort won't survive this unfair justice, and so I reverted back to my previous save before all my dwarves were guilty. Also, my barony is the one who traded, in case that means anything here.

EDIT: Found some info on wiki, but will it happen again if I just seize the caravan so the bracelets don't leave the map? Or is the caravan possessing them at any point of time enough to trigger this?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:13:42 am by Daveorock »
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Noble punishing everyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:14:33 am »

The mandate is checked at the moment the trade caravan leaves the map.  If the expoet mandate was passed after the trading, but before the caravan leaves, it still applies.  Every dwarf who carried a prohibited object to the trade depot gets punished.

One way to prevent this is to take advantage of the fact that your nobles can only have a maximum number of mandates in place at a time.  If your noble has mandated something easy to make, but also tends to pass export restriction mandates on items you trade, don't meet the production mandate until after the traders have left the map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

Better, is to treat the nobility induced psychosis afflicted dwarf to a thereputic "deep magma bath", to cure him of his insanity.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 02:16:47 pm »

Off with their heads!
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »

I have read that when goods are carried to the caravan in bins (where they belong anyways for extremely faster hauling) mandates which forbid export can be bypassed. Personally I didnīt experiment much with that because usually I my nobles forbid export of bulky stuff which I never export to begin with (querns, traction benches, millstones, ...) and always store crafts in bins.

And when some few of my crafters get punished then itīs usually for ignoring production mandates because I messed that up somehow. And Iīve seen cases where they got accused even though I *did* produce the demanded stuff. In these cases I just ignore the retarded noble.