Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchers Missing for a week  (Read 2482 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchers Missing for a week
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:00:10 am »

Well somehow my main butcher vanished on me... his last task according to dwarf therapist was butchering an animal... now he doesn't even show in dwarf therapist so I'm thinking he died somehow.  No burrows setup for him.  I searched the combat reports, blood stains, the river, and I just can't find him anywhere.
I'm thinking he might have fallen in the river which dragged him downstream off the map... how could I solve the mystery of his death?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchers Missing for a week
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:19:40 am »

This method's easier if you don't have to many dwarves/relatively young fort with not many items yet.

Assuming you've gotten a bookkeeper who has counted things well enough that you can see all your items, you can probably find him or his remains (or verify he is gone, gone, gone) by checking stocks, and using the... is it tab?  x?  Something like that to view all the separate items.  Check for corpses (he might be one), bodyparts (he might have left some), but also check for clothing (he probably was wearing some).  It can be annoying to check all the socks, for instance, but if you do - his probably are somewhere.

'Atom smashing' usually makes a message, but that's one possible way that he could have 'vanished' and be gone with all of his items and not even a blood smear to suggest that something occurred
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:32:35 am »

no luck...  I searched the corpses, remains, and body parts... nothing.
I'll just create a memorial slab for him.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:48:28 am »

My guess? An especially ambitious baby-snatcher.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 04:45:03 am »

If you canīt find the corpse on the map, check your animal stockpiles. Maybe he triggered a cage trap - in that case your dwarves will happily haul the cage to the stockpile while somehow donīt notice that one of their friends is stuck inside, when you get the "missing" message he probably already died of dehydration.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:46:04 am »

If you canīt find the corpse on the map, check your animal stockpiles. Maybe he triggered a cage trap - in that case your dwarves will happily haul the cage to the stockpile while somehow donīt notice that one of their friends is stuck inside, when you get the "missing" message he probably already died of dehydration.

searching for clothing would have caught that... though op did not mention that (harder) search.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:17 am »

stocks - > corpses
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Inconnu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:58:15 pm »

Playing 34.02 I've had guys go disappearing, and unless their bodies are found, they remain missing forever.

Your butcher could have fallen off a cliff, into a river or been ambushed and unless someone finds the body he remains missing and you cannot engrave a memorial or bury him. I had two guys missing for years...

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:21:21 pm »

Playing 34.02 I've had guys go disappearing, and unless their bodies are found, they remain missing forever.

Your butcher could have fallen off a cliff, into a river or been ambushed and unless someone finds the body he remains missing and you cannot engrave a memorial or bury him. I had two guys missing for years...
I think he fell into a fast flowing river which took him off the screen.  His last task was "butchering an animal" and some dead bird was on the other side of the river.  This river had the water numbers dropping as low as 5 and 6 at the edge of the screen constantly where the rest of the river remained at 7.  I looked at lower map levels yet only rock, so I'm thinking one or two squares off the map the water was falling.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:33:18 pm »

[34.05] I thought it would be fun to embark on a 6x6 at the intersection of 3 rivers this evening.  Its autumn now and I have 8 dwarfs.  Hunter/Butcher missing for a week.  No idea what  happened, either.  Kea's swept in and raided my rope from inside the start wagon, shortly after that lost for a week msg.  Double whamy, so I bailed.  I was kinda sad about it, til I came here to read this thread.  I had a hallway goblin grinder in the works, there, I was anxious to see in action.  Contemplating starting on a mountain next, just sucks to play up there.  I like to watch my hunter, when everyone is busy with tasks.  Cannot do that so well in the mtns and hills, so much z level changes.  Know what I mean?  Oh well.  Back to drawing board.  What would really rock if the Hunt command could path in a cavern.  I know, I'm gonna fatten my caverns, and see if that helps pathfinding AI, to hunt the deeper areas of the world.  *shrug*  Knutor
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:35:59 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 06:28:31 am »

Yup, most likely the river swept him away.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.