Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Requesting some DF defense tutorials on youtube  (Read 1152 times)

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Requesting some DF defense tutorials on youtube
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:33:22 pm »

Hey there, I just had what I think is a pretty amazing idea for a youtube series to help out newbs like me. Not really a lets play but sort of mini episodes.

I am not going to be doing this (because I suck), hence me requesting someone awesome to do it. The idea is to have like, 5-10 minute (or however long it takes) episodes that cover a specific defensive strategy. An example of this would be successfully creating a moat, whether it's magma or water or zombies. Setting up archery towers or whatever other defensive measure you can think of to protect yourself. I don't really know of many ways, just making corridors of traps, moats, trapping invaders in a box and shooting them with archers and that's about it.

I think it would be extremely helpful to players to see certain defensive tactics in action and how to set them up. Currently I don't think there are any videos or youtubers that have done this. There are some videos that cover some of these things like in tutorials, but what I'm proposing is a series strictly discussing and showing people what defensive measures they can create to protect their fort. The only way to really see stuff like this is watching lets plays (which can take a very long time) or tutorials, but tutorials don't cover a wide variety of defense strategies usually, just one or two for the specific fort they are playing.

So just to clarify in case my post was convoluted. One episode would cover one defensive strategy. If you're going to show how to create a trap filled corridor it would just be making the corridor, putting the traps down (whatever they may be, weapon, cage, whatever), and that's it. Then the next episode would cover another defensive strategy. Hopefully this makes sense.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone willing to try and create a wide variety of videos doing this?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 04:39:56 pm by Seraphyx »

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting some DF tutorials on youtube
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:53:43 pm »

ya know, there are tutorials already, and they cover everything. Maybe except for vampires and thralls. (just stay away from evil/violet biomes unless you know what you're doing. Or dont, but want some losing fun.)

lmgtfy

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28477.0
->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZUS2h-Yzc (old)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1iW1QN7_s

"some" is really an understatement by you, these are well made, high quality and long.
They cover defense as well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:04:55 pm by Lord Snow »

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting some DF tutorials on youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:34:08 pm »

I guess you completely missed the point I was trying to make. I don't want to watch several hour long videos from several different let's play series' that covers a large amount of aspects about DF and then find one or two videos that briefly covers a small amount of defensive measures you can take to protect your fort. Usually people do moats or trap filled corridors in their lets plays.

What I'm suggesting is a series of videos/guides specifically dedicated showing players how to create traps (not literally traps like weapon traps, just in general) and defense strategies, then demonstrating how they work. Not a lets play, and not a complete walkthrough of everything about DF from the commands to finding adamantine.

In captnducks tutorial for example, part 13 covers defense, migrants and trading. Over half the video is only trading, another quarter of it is migrants and other random stuff, and only a very small portion covers very basic defense. Someone who wants to see a bunch of different types of defensive strategies is out of luck because they either have to watch the entire 7 hours in the playlist and HOPE that there is more covered, or find another persons lets play videos and spend several more hours looking through videos hoping to see other things.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting some DF defense tutorials on youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:33:11 pm »

try DF wiki
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:31:19 pm »

try DF wiki

I have, but for a highly visual learner like myself it's very difficult to grasp a lot of things even if there is some crude visual representation to try and help explain as well. I learn way faster by being guided through it (either through text or audio) and seeing things being done at the same time in front of me. With the wiki I have to kind of read, look at the picture, reread, look at picture, rereread, look at picture. And eventually I miiiiight get it depending on how confusing it is.

Just so everyone knows I'm not complaining about the actual difficulty of DF. I just think it would be awesome to have a bunch of mini-episodes/guides that are specifically focused on building all sorts of defenses. That way if I, or anyone else, wants to learn how to specifically do something you can easily search for it instead of trying to sift through potentially hundreds of hours of lets play footage (I'm sure captnduck alone has nearly 100 hours of gameplay footage if not more) hoping you find what you want, or just something interesting.

Abregado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:04:55 pm »

I might give this a go soon. Just embark with 10000 points, everything we need to survive until an invasion and defence. Focus on how to design a decent entraceway, trap room, military training, seige weapons, ect.

I'm not exactly an expert and the great thing about DF is that you need to do things differently every time you start a new fort.

No promises but i'll have a go at some point as I can see that what you are searching for (concise, topic specific videos) is not readily available.

Have a look at my third Corrosion lets play and let me know if this is the style you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDP7OO5QDi4&feature=related