Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting a siege too early - just bad luck?  (Read 3772 times)

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting a siege too early - just bad luck?
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:06:22 am »

So... second year on a fresh embark. Small community of only 32 dwarves of which the majority just arrived with the 3rd migration wave. Almost no wealth and I didnīt even dig out bedrooms for everybody yet.

Suddenly my fps drops rapidly and a while later a siege of more than 20 undead humans and goblins arrives (before any ambushes and only one kobold thief spotted so far). As for the fps drop I already filed a bug report because I had the same thing happening earlier (huge fps drop some weeks before one single werebeast arrived). As for the big siege... is that just bad luck? I didnīt embark in or near an evil biome and also not near a tower for all I know - undead suggest a necromancer nearby, right?

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a siege too early - just bad luck?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:15:01 am »

I think Ive had a necromancer siege in the 2nd or 3rd season 1st year(consisting of 2.. yes.. 2 complete undead animals!)

I'm quessing necromancers siege earlier if you're close to their tower, similar to Goblins, but the distance to the tower seems to matter more.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:46:39 am »

Get rid of it with a DAS.

Also, I got a 40-zombie-strong siege on the second year as well. Just hide away in your fort and smash them into oblivion, or spam traps.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:08:34 am »

Hmm... the situation took a very unexpected turn. The zombies slaughtered everybody like expected... Everybody except my expedition leader .

I didnīt take a closer look at him until now. Turns out he is an almost 200 years old vampire. Well, I made him craft a few dozen coffins and now he is cleaning up the mess. Zombies are still on the map, chasing animals. My expedition leader made it his hobby to collect their crowns (seems they are all carrying bone and ivory crowns which they drop for whatever reason).

Majukey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 06:00:52 am »

Funny that should happen to you. Yesterday I had the same thing, early zombie attack that wiped out everyone except the Expedition Leader, who turned out to be a vampire. I swear he was my original Expedition Leader, who in theory shouldn't be a vampire. Or maybe he had a similar name & just got the job handed to him automatically as he was the last left alive.

I tried to wall up the entrance as soon as they showed up, but a dog was stood in the way. In the end I turned on Blacksmithing & Bonecrafting for the Expedition Leader & forced him to make himself a bit of armour & a decent weapon. He was happily slaying the new occupants of the fortress until his 3rd finger, on the right hand, got gashed & started to pus, forcing him to stroll over to the hospital zone & sleep on the floor. I gave up waiting for him to recover in the end.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:12:44 am »

Yeah, Iīm quite sure itīs not my original expedition leader either. He is professional macedwarf, fighter, shield- and armor user. Which I didnīt set up in the embark screen. Quite a cool dwarf, by the way, he is literally covered with bone trinkets... rings on every finger, tons of bracelets, earrings and whatnot. Anyways you will be right about the last guy alive getting promoted to expedition leader.

Well, I did the same thing. The zombies were ignoring him (they chased a herd of yaks in circles around the map for a whole year). I let him craft a mace and some armor then took them out one by one.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:39:03 am »

He is your expedition leader because there are no other dwarves left to be your expedition leader bro, so he will be elected automatically.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:30:57 am »

Partially related question:

If I do not have a goblin civilization in civilizations screen in dwarf mode does it mean I will not get any sieges nor ambushes?

Quick answers please, as I will have to abandon this fort and start another one!;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:47:32 am by omg_scout »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:33:54 am »

No goblin civ, no goblin sieges. If a civ isn't listed on the embark screen, you will never see them in your fort for any reason.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:38:14 am »

The question was in dwarf-mode.  Reading comprehension.

And, it's unknown.  You only get them listed on the civ screen when you've encountered them.  So wall up and see what happens!

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:51:17 am »

Okay first off i am running the masterwork mod so i dont know if that effected what i am about to say.

I have had a 50 strong undead siege by summer of the FIRST YEAR, i only had 12 dorfs...... poor militia..... didnt even stand a chance.

*side note* in my defense i sent the militia after them because i only saw three at first...... didnt realize rest of siege was uphill in the mountain.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:53 am »

If I am hearing this correctly you had one survivor who was a vampire? I thought the fort crumbled when that happened?  Is this not the case?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 11:18:21 am »

If I am hearing this correctly you had one survivor who was a vampire? I thought the fort crumbled when that happened?  Is this not the case?

Nope, vampire dorfs are still dorfs and count towards your population.  If you catch a vampire and wall him in completely, you can basically have an immortal fort that can last forever until new gullible migrants arrive.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:48 pm »

I *almost* had an opportunity to test how early a siege could arrive... when looking for a place to embark in a desert, I noticed that if I selected one dwarf mountainhome as my home civ, goblins were listed with the standard hostile line of dashes... but if I selected the other nearby dwarf mountainhome, this switched to "war". I'm betting if I had missed this and embarked with the second civ, I would have been besieged very quickly.

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 02:42:40 pm »

Seems like the undead sieges are pretty variable, but they do seem to come earlier than goblin sieges. I had my first experience with one just recently. My fort was going strong with 79 dwarves (12 of which were children), and I had about a dozen military dwarves, when, to my shock and surprise, the summer of my second year brought a wave of 86 (yes, that's 86) undead elves, dwarves, and humans converging from all map edges.

They weren't that tough though...my military was able to deal with the threat with only one dwarven death and a few nasty bites to livers, stomachs, and other internal organs. The one dwarf that died lasted for quite a while as three or four zombies mauled on him, but the rescue team came too late.

A fun note: The bodies of the dwarven undead will take up coffin spaces. I was amused to find this out.