Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To reclaim, or not to reclaim?  (Read 566 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
To reclaim, or not to reclaim?
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:08 am »

That is the question. Anyway, I have a fort that went from almost 100 dwarves to 0. I then reclaimed, and got up to about 13 dwarves, then back to 0. I'm wondering if the third time really will be the charm, because the fort is now ridden with at least 3 violent ghosts, several haunters, the food's all rotten, corpses are strewn all about, and I don't think 7 dwarves will really be able to bury them all in time.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: To reclaim, or not to reclaim?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 12:49:32 am »

Reclaiming a long lived fortress is nearly impossible due to the amount of corpses you need to bury, the many and many ghosts that when you reclaim are then very hostile (and do not frighten anymore but simply kill your dwarves constantly).
And even if by some crazy amount of luck you can keep the starting dwarves out of reach from the killer ghosts enough time to put them all to rest with either engraved slabs or burying their corpse, a long lived fortress means usually that there's a lot of wealth.

And lot of wealth can easily mean goblin siege army coming in only a few seasons, if unlucky before even the 1st migrant wave.

The new DF version could surely use the old 0.28.x reclaim war party instead of doomed small expedition, that gave you much more than the 7 starting dwarves, so at least you could have a chance to fight back the soon incoming goblin siege.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:38:47 am »

If the starting 7 manage to bury more than 7 corpses it's just a matter of continued reclaiming until everyone is in his grave.
Whether it's worth it is up to you to decide
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:54 am »

It can be done but it requires a different attitude.

You founders were intrepid explorers, everything they did was original, they needed every kind of material desperately, they made do and struggled.

A reclaim is more like scavengers moving in over forsaken property.  You should never need for anything, but don't mass reclaim. Move your new guys into some temporary dwellings/burrows/pits. Reclaim a bit at a time.  Set up a funerary complex and if you start to mass unforbid, unforbid categories through the stocks menu-- e.g. all copper picks, all corpses etc. This is to control your f.p.s. and your supplies without getting overhwhelmed by one unending hauling task holding up every idler
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:54:41 am »

I am under the impression that ghosts can die of old age. You shouldn't have that problem if you wait 150 years or so.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.