Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bin <#??> - bugged/broken bin??  (Read 652 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bin <#??> - bugged/broken bin??
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »

I got some bins that have <#??> where ?? seems to be some random number, some of them are working fine while others just sit wherever they were left and won't be put to use, even though some stockpiles require bins...

so what's the deal? are they bugged? or are they worn out like clothes... in this case broken... like XXcedar binXX or something... if it's the later shouldn't they be sent to the refuse stockpile? I noticed there's a category for broken items... is it even used at all?

The only items I've seen to break are clothes, but they usually remain owned by a dwarf when they become XXpig tail sockXX, so nobody else is able to throw it away in the refuse pile, and the owner doesn't seem to ever do it...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: bin <#??> - bugged/broken bin??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:47:55 pm »

I vaguely recall seeing this. IIRC, it identifies the contents of the container; e.g. Bar/Block Bin 11.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:54:28 pm »

Every stockpile is numbered. When a bin is assigned to a particular stockpile, it inherits the number and has the number placed after its name in <>s as you describe. Eventually, they should be dragged to the pile they're assigned to. Each stockpile with at least 1 allowed bin will claim a bin whenever they have fewer assigned bins than they have allowed and they have 0 empty bins assigned to them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »

shouldn't dumping or forbidding the bin deassign it from the stockpile therefore clearing the number? I think I've seen dumped or forbidden bins with the number... and I'm certain that I have bins being used on a stockpile without the number...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:38:51 pm »

Forbidding or dumping a bin will generally remove its stockpile designation, though only after the game has been unpaused for a few seconds (and it gets around to checking if the stockpile needs any more containers or can afford to release some of its empty ones).
A bin located in a stockpile but not having an ID just means that it doesn't belong to any stockpile (due to its particular combination of contents not matching any of your stockpiles) and that it's just sitting there - if you move it off of the stockpile (e.g. to the trade depot), it will never get put back.

For the record, containers have pretty much always had these ID numbers on them - it definitely dates back to the later 2D versions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:01:21 pm »

When do the refuse pile "item types" gets used then? there are bins and barrels among other things in there, how do you break items so they get thrown in the refuse pile??  :o

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »

Items go into a refuse stockpile if they reach the XXmangledXX state. Clothing items reach that state after being worn for a long period of time, and certain types of furniture can be damaged by building destroyers, but other stuff pretty much has to be exposed to extremely high or low temperatures to become worn out.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.