Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Forgotten beasts too weak?  (Read 5909 times)

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beasts too weak?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 04:46:38 pm »

i do think that the random beasts are really funny, especially when they kill themselves, but the problem is  the invincible ones, if they are still around..
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 06:06:53 pm »

i do think that the random beasts are really funny, especially when they kill themselves, but the problem is  the invincible ones, if they are still around..

I am still yet to receive a glorious steel megabeast.

WHAT NOW HUSKS? HAH AHAHAHHAHA

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:27 pm »

i had one made of salt. i dunno what i would have done with it, i just left it alone. before i knew it, invasion. i had no defences.
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 08:52:26 pm »

The problem with forgotten beasts is that they're too binary. They're either really weak or invulnerable, most of the time. Sometimes you get some really interesting ones that breathe syndrom addled gasses and are hard to beat but not unkillable by normal means.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »

The problem with forgotten beasts is that they're too binary. They're either really weak or invulnerable, most of the time. Sometimes you get some really interesting ones that breathe syndrom addled gasses and are hard to beat but not unkillable by normal means.

Eh, I haven't found too many extremes. Your average FB doesn't get enough limelight as uber weak FB's or uber steel FB's :(

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 02:15:48 pm »

oh nonono they haven't been nerfed.

First FB I got in my currently only 31.05 fort is a PIG IRON HUMANOID. I'm not even going to sic a dwarf on this unless he is a legendary miner with a high quality steel pick and he's shielded in full iron.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 11:12:30 am »

Most FBs I encountered were killed very easily.

They are either very weak or very strong.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »

I think most FBs are sort of glass cannons.  In this game, pretty much any single foe (that isn't made of armor-grade material like a bronze colossus) is easy to kill.  But random syndrome attacks can totally destroy some of your best dwarves, without any defense for some of them.

It's like, sure, a giant stegosaur from under the caverns isn't too hard to take down, but neither is a minotaur, a dragon, a giant, any of those beasts.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 03:27:37 pm »

Meh, I have the most fun from sieges. I'm going to piss off the elves when I set enough traps around my moat.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 03:36:41 pm »

It would be nice if Toady added some sort of difficulty slider on these things, or otherwise gave players some hand in changing how FBs are constructed.  Being able to turn off the steam FBs with no syndromes for the guys who laugh at the new evil zone's zombie apocalypse, or turning off the deadly dust FBs if you want to actually stand a chance fighting things directly.

Although personally, I just resort to cave-in traps against most FBs to start with...  I'm not big on fighting things with my military or "honor" or "fairness".  I prefer my magma cannons to axelords.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »

Although personally, I just resort to cave-in traps against most FBs to start with...  I'm not big on fighting things with my military or "honor" or "fairness".  I prefer my magma cannons to axelords.

You are a true DF player!

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 06:15:50 pm »

How can you create a cave in trap against a foe that has TRAP_AVOID?
They do not trigger pressure plate, do they?
(Its around midnight where I live and I just lost a fort due to
First : dragon attack, np my landmine took care of him but he destroyed the drawbridge
Second: necro attack, before the brand new bridge got linked, everyone rush for the dead and mass slaughter
Third : goblin siege, luckily a tantruming dwarf had destroyed the new drawbridge, after a few month they got bored
Fourth: second goblin siege, pulled the wrong lever and opened the door to them. There was only 13 civilians and 17 children inside.
While the last wounded sworddwarf was getting slaughtered by a berserk child (after he pulled again the lever so only half of the goblin force was inside) a nasty FB got in...

Now I'm really pissed and I got a rehearsal tomorrow and I wont be able to play but I'd'really like to know how I can get rid of these Fun bringers...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:22 pm »

Cave-in traps are not traps you construct like normal traps. 

You build a wall (or cast obsidian for an easier reset, if longer initial construction time) that is only supported by something like a single support that you can collapse by lever, and then set up all sorts of neat, shiny junk statues for all the happy building destroyers to want to come over and topple.  When the Forgotten Beast is having fun knocking over all your statues, you pull the lever, and drop the ceiling on him.  (Other acceptable decoys include a leash with kittens.  Everyone loves playing with a bunch of kittens!)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 09:51:51 pm »

Forgotten Beasts are kind of wild cards. They can run the gambit from indestructible to vaporizing the moment anyone breathes on them. To play it safe I wouldn't try to take one on without a highly trained squad in high quality gear. Or you could be like me and trap one in an execution chamber and let marksdwarves use it for target practice.
Pages: 1 [2]