Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dual biomes and disappearing stocks  (Read 666 times)

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dual biomes and disappearing stocks
« on: July 01, 2013, 11:58:12 pm »

I embarked to a super fun biome where I can have lots of !fun! on one side and be relatively neutral on the other side. Even have giant sponges (two of them) in the river. I chiseled a temporary hovel to get out of mucus rain (that causes bruising and dizziness) and made the hilarious mistake of butchering one of the default pets and having its hair rise up against me. But the fun and games were quickly sidetracked when I later removed the wall I had used to seal the entrance. You see, half my hovel is on the evil biome (with the butcher shop, lol) and half my hovel is on the savage biome; when that wall opened the entrance, half my stockpile just up and completely disappeared.

Is this intentional behavior for evil biomes, punishing us for extended isolation? Is it a known bug that I can duplicate? Inquiring dwarfs want to know. (Should I go through the trouble of posting this to the bug report or just forget about it? My internet connection is wifi, so uploading my save is unlikely.)

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Dual biomes and disappearing stocks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:19:15 am »

Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 06:53:22 pm »

As Draz shows, its a known bug.  Basically, all loose items in a 16x16 area (gridded with the embark tiles, I believe) are moved (teleported) to the tile the person deconstructing something was standing on.  This was to prevent that worker from dropping the building material he is recovering on someone's head, but has the side effect of also "recovering" everything in the 16x16 block he happens to be occupying when he does so.

This can be exploited to quantum stockpile things, by the way, so while annoying when you don't want it, and not reliable due to not knowing where the 16x16 grid is laid out relative to your fortress until after the fact, it can help you make more room to store stuff without having to dump/reclaim or minecart stuff.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:00:13 pm »

Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around