Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Candy clusters? Queen arriving as a peasant? Ay yi yi! [spoilers]  (Read 2213 times)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New fortress, new opportunity for weird. Seemed like a great place at first - evil biome to the south, so I get some Zombies for Fun (I like the challenge), river for water, lots of trees, flux, iron, copper...

But, while digging out my food storage area (two floors down only) I hit adamantine and flipped out. I was worried I'd hit an unnaturally tall spire of the stuff, and was going to unleash hell right in my dining room. I really didn't want that (only one migration wave into the game) so I used DFhack's vdigx tool to designate the thing for digging, so I could see if it was hollow.

It wasn't.

It was an ENORMOUS cluster (like, the size of those massive magnetite clusters you get when you hit the jackpot) and there was another one underneath it, and another one underneath that. I recognized immediately that this was a bug (I'd been doing some modding, added the better vampires/werewolves mod and was tweaking with it - must have messed something up).

Then things got really weird.

The queen migrated... Dressed as a peasant. With only peasant skills (she likes to fish?), no retinue, no husband (she is married), no nothing. Now, I know that was supposed to stop happening after 40d. But, nonetheless, I've now got 19 dwarves and a queen and a lot of the good stuff and I still don't even have a dining room.

Crazy, eh? Anyone else have a ruler migrate dressed as a peasant in the new version?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candy clusters? Queen arriving as a peasant? Ay yi yi! [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:34:50 am »

post your save/seed for the rest of us to enjoy this strangeness
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:53:31 am »

post your save/seed for the rest of us to enjoy this strangeness

This please!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:57:06 am »

More likely a raw corruption.

Though if adamantine clusters are the only wackiness (nobles arriving isn't that weird I don't think), it's one of the least weird corruptions I've heard of.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 03:14:00 am »

The game crashed before I saved when I looked at the build material list and one of the things was an "evil mist boulder." I think I accidentally duplicated the human raws. I still have the folder, just not the fort itself. It's modded out the wazoo, though, every time I play the game and go "hmm, that's annoying..." I make some change.
Among things I've done:
-elves and dwarves build cities
-Phoebus tileset
-humans are playable, dwarves may or may not  be
-kobolds don't need to eat (so they survive world gen)
-using the Fear the Night vampire mod BUT, all the werewolves are also vulnerable to "silvered steel" and "silvered iron," two new materials I made. You can silver-coat various weapons at the smelter. I don't think I got them working right, though, which is probably the source of the crazy
-the fort was settled somewhere in The Sullen Marshes, the evil (thus purple) swamp up in the northwest. As the fort deleted itself on the crash, I don't know where, exactly. There was flux and iron and all kinds of good stuff
-The humans have some custom graphics I drew for the soldiers and nobility. Feel free to change it

-caveat emptor: This is clearly caused by a bug. I screwed up something seriously badly when I was tinkering, so expect messed up stuff and crashes.

download here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5927

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 03:14:55 am »

More likely a raw corruption.

Though if adamantine clusters are the only wackiness (nobles arriving isn't that weird I don't think), it's one of the least weird corruptions I've heard of.

To clarify, I got the "The leader has arrived dressed as a peasant!" popup thing that I haven't seen in like, two years now. It's from quite a while ago.