Advanced search  

Author Topic: ice  (Read 383 times)

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
ice
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:04:31 pm »

my place, has a time were ice is formed during winter... now this can be very bad when some one is hurt during winter, so i want to make a well, but i don't want to make a hole to deliver water to that well.

i know you can mine ice as rocks. so is there a way to mine ice, and make it melt inside your fortress to produce some water for my well thats around 3 levels below ground (but next to my hospital) or is that logicly impossible
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ice
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:04:06 pm »

Wiki says melted ice can't be used as a water source, it just forms a puddle. There are safe ways to get water inside your fort without letting bad guys in. For instance, make a pump, wall it in, and let it suck water up through a grate. As nothing will currently destroy anything on a z-level above them, even building destroyers will be stopped by the grates.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ice
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:14:21 pm »

my place, has a time were ice is formed during winter... now this can be very bad when some one is hurt during winter, so i want to make a well, but i don't want to make a hole to deliver water to that well.

i know you can mine ice as rocks. so is there a way to mine ice, and make it melt inside your fortress to produce some water for my well thats around 3 levels below ground (but next to my hospital) or is that logicly impossible
ice stones melt into a unusable pool of water underground, what you can do is cave-in natural ice walls and they get insta-turned into water, check the getting water on glacier biome in the wiki.