Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [CRASH] Removing built floodgates.  (Read 1062 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
[CRASH] Removing built floodgates.
« on: August 13, 2006, 08:21:00 pm »

Very serious issue:
Removing a built, unlinked floodgate will crash the game.

Ok, so i have a room built up for farming and about to put up a trigger and a mechanism to open the floodgate, and flood the room. Then, i get the "The river is overflowing" message so i select my already built floodgate to be dismantled, because i want that room flooded asap. Instead, the moment the floodgate is finished being removed, the game crashes!

The floodgate was between two walls, and had no canals leading away from it. Why no canals and a second floodgate?
1) I'm lazy
2) It's faster all-around (no canal digging, only 2 mechanisms needed to link and open the gate, etc)

As always, use notepad to view the following (copy and paste!)
  #~~~##
####~~~~#
...F~~###
####~~~##
  #~~~~#

As you can see, the Floodgate was infront of a single-wide corridor (floor . and wall #) which would be flooded, next to the underground river (~) Also, this crash occured on an icey map, if it matters.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [CRASH] Removing built floodgates.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »

I wasn't able to reproduce this, and I wasn't able to get bridges placing on that other farmplot one either.  Without further information or some kind of save, I'm not going to make it very far very fast on these.  Hopefully there's something around.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:36:00 pm »

I'll try and make a few games with the direct intention of reproducing these two crashes.

Know any good free, non-membership file-hosting sites?  :p

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 08:40:00 pm »

We had the movies on megaupload or something for a while, but good is not the correct word there.  If you can send files that size, you can just pop all the region#.sav + region# folder in data/save over to toadyone@bay12games.com, I have like 1.7 GB left.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 08:58:00 pm »

Just a guess, but presumably it was removing the floodgate during (or just at the beginning of) a natural flood that caused the crash.  I can't see anything else unusual in the above, anyway.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 09:06:00 pm »

Yes, that sounds very plausable. the game may be getting confused when the gate is removed, as it leaves a canal where it was, and the game may not know how to deal with it durring a natural flood. Hell, maybe the way the canal is made creates an instance where the floodgate and canal exist at the same time; that sort of "It's a canal so i can flood it but there's a floodgate there too, so i can't" stuff.

There was also only one other "interesting" thing that i can think of that i did durring the flood-gate crash, and that thing was creating a 7x7 room with one corner peice removed, so it was a 7x7 -1 corner tile. And then i duplicated it, and linked the two together by a 5-wide passage (trying to create a huge 'shroom-growing operation) Maybe the game doesn't like to flood huge areas?

[There were also a few cobwebs in the two linked 7x7 rooms, immature mushrooms, and a few plants.]
[E2: Did i also mention the door that was at the end of the room were all in a "Closed but unlocked" position?]

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]