Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dropping sand to the magma layer?  (Read 887 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dropping sand to the magma layer?
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:09:53 pm »

So I have a double Biome map, one is at the base of a mountain where there is no aquifer the eastern part of the map has a normal layer of soil and sand with an aquifer beneath it, I do get freezing on the map, but anyways - my question is could I actually drop a big chunk of sand to the magma layer to then collect at the glassmaker's? I am blessed with a MASSIVE cave that would easily cut out at least 60 layers of the drop.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Dropping sand to the magma layer?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:26 pm »

You could try a cave-in to drop a sand tile, but it's not guaranteed to work.  When you drop soil layer terrain, the terrain type will change depending on the default terrain types of the level it falls to.  You might drop your sand tiles and then discover they've become clay or something like that after falling.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »

You could drop sand bags, or move the magma up.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 03:41:25 pm »

make a chute from the sand layer to the magma forge.  You can use sand bag stockpiles and occasionally dump them and reclaim, or you can use no stockpiles at all.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:57:51 pm »

A magma piston might be a little easier, or just have a (completely walled-in) stairwell going directly up 60z levels to go collect the sand.  It's not like a walk of 60 tiles will take all that long, anyway. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare