Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Empty relationship list  (Read 1084 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Empty relationship list
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:48:50 am »

I got a dwarf with empty relationship list, what doesn't that mean?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty relationship list
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:53:09 am »

it doesn't mean he's a very popular guy.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:57:18 am »

I got a dwarf with empty relationship list, what doesn't that mean?
Do you really want to know?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:01:39 am »

The prototype of a dwarven Atheist: no deity, no friends, no relatives, not even a pet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:08:15 am »

LOL, I see. I thought one should at least have some relatives.
But when I checked the new members, I found some such quiet ones.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:36:44 am »

You are right about the relatives. Maybe the game lists them only when they are still alive? My extremes so far were a guy just like you described - zero relationships, awkward personality. I was going to isolate him and make him a legendary fighter who wouldn´t care about anything, best way to avoid him going berserk because his best buddy dies. Unfortunately he was killed soon after when suddenly a titan said hello to my fort.

The other extreme was a female vampire with 16 kids and dozens of relatives... sisters brothers aunts mother, grandmothers, great-grandmothers. Hard to imagine her great-grandmother was still alive unless the whole family were vamps - she was more than 100 years old herself.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:59:57 am »

I have one wonderful fortress that has several large extended families, if I count inlaws.  I decided to lump them into clans by that criteria.  With about 200 Dwarves I had 17 clans ranging from one to half-a-dozen married couples and their children, and 6 loners (no relatives).  The loners weren't sad though.  ;)  I had this fortress almost to the stage where the king was to arrive and I went to play another fortress for a while.  That one reached 200 Dwarves with almost no extended families, and a lot of loners.  It was in a terrible location.  A dragon melted everyone in that fortress, so I went back to my wonderful fortress.  The King arrived, and lo and behold, three of his sons already lived in the fortress as adults.  Between his relatives, his wife's relatives, and their own descendants, they combined three of my 17 clans into one.  The total membership of that clan is 73, out of a total of 212 Dwarves.  About half of those are adults, mostly married to living spouses.

There is a small flaw in the genealogy function in DF.  While Grandparents are displayed, Grandchildren are not.  Thus, until you come upon a grandchild of someone you may not notice that someone who has no relatives listed actually is related to another Dwarf in the fortress.  I have at least one like that.

I had one interesting case.  A Dwarf's and his wife brought the wife's father with them when they migrated.  He was listed as married but his wife had not come along.  I checked in Legends mode and the missing spouse had become a vampire.  I checked the graves of my three vampires, but she was not one of them.  The real names of the vampires show on the remains in the coffin, and on the slab if you make one.

Edit:Fixed typo.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:02:23 am by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:07:35 am »

We need a family tree program that can show the relatives.  Considering the size of a relationship list, probably a massive undertaking.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:14:35 am »

I tried Gramps, but I couldn't figure it out.  Specifically I couldn't see how to enter wives and children once I had someone in the tree. 

I also have Family Tree.  I am just a little bit reluctant to put Dwarven family trees into the same program with my own family history.  I'm sure that doesn't make sense, but there it is.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:16 am »

And this was my great uncle Urist who survived the Stock Market Crash!
The recession?
No, it was a cave-in.