Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need access to magma-safe non-economic item  (Read 3145 times)

goudegamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need access to magma-safe non-economic item
« on: March 14, 2012, 09:42:32 pm »

Just came back to DF after not playing for a while since I heard a whole bunch of cool goodies were added since last time I played, and I embarked on a Volcano with play now! and I cannot for the life of me build anything magma related. I can select them but I always get the title's name error. There are no locked doors in the way, an abundance of stones, nothing forbidden, they can reach the area and build other workshops in the exact same place, I've tried everything!

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need access to magma-safe non-economic item
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »

I'm not entirely certain, but I think in the newer version, the magma-safe properties of some materials were changed. I think there are less of them now. When I tried to build a magma smelter, it only let me select gabbro, despite the fact that I had plenty of other stones.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:00:21 pm »

I hate to ask the obvious question, but do you have magma-safe non-economic stone available?

goudegamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:02:58 pm »

I have loads of Rhyolite, and even if that is as of the new version magma unsafe, I have a lot of tetrahedrite as well which I would think is magma safe.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:05:46 pm »

Neither of those are magma-safe.  Consult this page:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Magma-safe
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

goudegamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:08:24 pm »

Wow, I even check the wiki but the first page it brought up was for DF2010 and I probably didn't notice. Thanks much.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:33:33 am »

I think there are now *more* magma-safe materials than before, at least the wiki mentions that somewhere.

Anyways, if you have water somewhere it should not be that much of a problem to make some obsidian to get magma-safe building material.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:51:16 am »

You have a volcano, just dig out it's walls for some obsidian, what could go wrong?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:50:18 pm »

you could toggle the economic status in the stones menu.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:39:00 pm »

Version 0.31 made lots more stones magma-safe, but version 0.34.02 fixed a very long-standing bug where magma forges/furnaces didn't actually require magma-safe building materials like they were supposed to (nor did normal forges/furnaces require fire-safe materials).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.