Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training Architects?  (Read 2067 times)

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training Architects?
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:09:00 am »

Is it just me or does it seem ridiculously hard to level up architecture/building design?

I mean my starting proficient marksdwarf shoots some arrows at a target for a couple months and becomes a legendary marksman. My starting architect takes part in the construction a massive system of windmills and pumps to drain a frikkin' ocean and gets a single level of experience. His peasant assistant I drafted barely made architect by the end. So what gives?

It seems like if your original architect gets shot it would take forever to train another that builds things at an appreciable rate of speed.

Miminini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training Architects?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:11:00 am »

Build 1x1 bridges and deconstruct them.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

To be pragmatic I wouldn't worry about it.

But that's probably not the answer you want.

I suggest building loads of roads.

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »

Archery targets work, too.  Build 'em up, take 'em down.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

Also, supports.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

To gain skill, I build supports along my hallways and deconstruct them. It takes somewhere around 970 supports to go from nothing to x5 legendary. If you devote a section of your surface 31x31 wide, and turn it all into supports, and then build 8 more supports, when it's all done you will have a x5 legendary architect.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

I would go with small roads (or big ones if you want them for something), if your masons are busy and you don't feel like babysitting your architect. Pave your soil layer hallways. Most everything else (bridges, supports) needs a mason to finish up the process, but in my experience an architect will complete a road alone. Then again, if you use blocks to build all your roads so they'll be smooth, like I do, I guess you're not saving any effort...

I'm not sure if you get extra skill from the deconstruction, though, or if that's something any dwarf can do.

You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

Honestly, though, what benefit does a legendary architect give you?  The quality of the building depends on the level of the mason/carpenter, not on the architect.  

So what's the point, really?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

There are two different quality tracking processes in many buildings, as seen below:

So your statement, "Honestly, though, what benefit does a legendary architect give you? The quality of the building depends on the level of the mason/carpenter, not on the architect." is wrong.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

OK then, I stand corrected.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

Well, for the sake of doing it, I sometimes make my stills out of copper, or try for steel in the kitchen, or granite (for the counter tops!) etc.

There's something wrong about it all being made out of shale!

igless