Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Critical injuries  (Read 1100 times)

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Critical injuries
« on: August 13, 2006, 07:31:00 pm »

My carpenter has bad wounds (yellow) in the stomach and the lower spine. Are these crippling? He was able to walk to his bed under his own power, and the yellow stomach wound disappeared soon after, but that's supposed to put you out for a long time.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Critical injuries
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »

The yellow wound healing "system" is a bit haphazard now, and you might find they heal quickly sometimes.  The lower spine may...  never heal.  It's a spinal injury after all.  I suppose dwarves should be all amazing and tough and so on, but we all know that these aren't ordinary dwarves.

edit:  it's strange that the dwarf can walk -- is he brown back grounded?  he should be grounded.

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:44:00 pm »

I forgot to check if he was walking. I just saw  him walking to quarters and didn't remember to check his background. Still, he was moving at a normal speed, so I think he was standing.

edit: Turns out he is "getting used to tragedy." Is this a prelude to tantrums and river jumping?

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Cosmonot ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 07:57:00 pm »

Nah, that's actually a good thing.  It means his "hardness" is going up, and things like death and injury just don't bother him as much any more.  Later, when I think about doing more personality/brain damage stuff, he might start developing some ticks though.  Right now, he's just getting that thousand yard stare.

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 08:11:00 pm »

He's been in the sh... well, the you-know-what.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 08:24:00 pm »

No, I don't know.  Because I wasn't there.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 08:39:00 pm »

He was in the innards of three racoons. The last one got a little rough.

edit: Also, his dwarven friends are very concerned with his health; they keep spamming me with "Cannot find bucket" messages when trying to bring water. I appreciate the thought, and will try to have a bucket lying around next time.

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Cosmonot ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 08:42:00 pm »

It should eventually just plaster it across the center of the screen in triple size block letters...  if you can do 3x3 block letters...  fairly abstract...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 12:27:00 am »

You can do 3x5 block letters very easily!

code:

.#...##....##..##...###..###...##..#.#..###..###..#.#..#....#.#
#.#..#.#..#....#.#..#....#....#....#.#...#....#...#.#..#....###
###..###..#....#.#..##...##...#.#..###...#....#...##...#....###
#.#..#.#..#....#.#..#....#....#.#..#.#...#....#...#.#..#....#.#
#.#..##....##..##...###..#.....##..#.#..###..##...#.#..###..#.#

#.#...#...##....#...##....##..###..#.#..#.#..#.#..#.#..#.#..###
#\#..#.#..#.#..#.#..#.#..#.....#...#.#..#.#..#.#..#.#..#.#....#
###..#.#..##...#.#..##...###...#...#.#..#.#..###...#....#....#.
#\#..#.#..#....###..#.#....#...#...#.#..#.#..###..#.#...#...#..
#.#...#...#.....##..#.#..##....#...###...#...#^#..#.#...#...###

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.  (Maybe I should go find something productive to do in that time.)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 07:09:00 am »

I have a female Elite Marksman who's got a the lightest wound possible to the upper spine - it's just a bit grey, she can walk around all do all the things she did before, but the wound is still there after lots of time. Shouldn't only moderate/severe injures to the spine be permanent? I think dwarves could recover from a somewhat bruised spine...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:44:00 am »

You know, I don't know the slightest thing about healing minor injuries to the brain and spine.  The dwarf has a toughness variable that reduces damage slight (and it is balanced out by the size modifier!), but I don't know if they should have amazing powers of healing too.  It's sort of a individual call.  I guess your dwarf has a bad back now, or something.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 11:47:00 am »

I recently had a child with a yellow wound. She was in bed for pretty much her entire childhood and still bore a slight (brown) wound into her adult years. Also, the wound was to her hand.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 12:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Nah, that's actually a good thing.  It means his "hardness" is going up, and things like death and injury just don't bother him as much any more.  Later, when I think about doing more personality/brain damage stuff, he might start developing some ticks though.  Right now, he's just getting that thousand yard stare.</STRONG>

You know, that's horrible! When one of my dwarves got the "doesn't really care about anything anymore", I started really getting worried about him - and now you say that it's positive?! If you add more insanities that hardening can cause, you should also add the possibility of coming out of it stronger. As an example, a dwarf might "become adjusted to the hard realities of the world" and then "learns to enjoy the little joys of life" - hardened, but also resistant to insanity. It might be easier to go down the route of insanity if the character is hardened, but not if there's no reason to! Except rarely at random.

Janne )`*