Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amphibious Fortress Race  (Read 966 times)

Werefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Amphibious Fortress Race
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:05:51 pm »

I made a race of dragonmen, and gave them [AMPHIBIOUS][UNDERSWIM] [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:900]

I can play them fine, and in arena and in other situations, they dont drown, but they dont swim on their own, tested by digging a pit then breaching an aquifier above them trapping them underground, they just hang out underwater. they also avoid pathing through anywater deeper than 3-4. did i miss something?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amphibious Fortress Race
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:07:58 pm »

No, there's nothing you can do about that. The pathing behavior that marks deep water as impassible isn't altered by innate swimming ability or anything else.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »

Dwarves don't swim unless they're gonna die or need to fight. This behavior applies to all the creatures you play as in fort mode.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Werefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

Hm.. aight. Does this mean i will see my merchants path into the river, but not my residents? Would they just hang out underwater until hungry/thirsty, then pop across water to the food pile then, if trapped with deep water between them?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:46:40 pm »

[SWIMS_INNATE] doesn't apply to player races, it seems.
Try using [NATURAL_SKILL:SWIMMING:5] instead. It makes them proficient in swimming.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.