Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting started and dunno what this some of this s*** is  (Read 1023 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting started and dunno what this some of this s*** is
« on: May 03, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

ok, what is a plump helmet...?
plump helmet spawn?
keep hearing about shells and turtles and i am confused

jeez. this game is way to freakin big!  I LOVE IT!

now, if only wikipedia was up tp date.............

anyone out there kind enuff to give this noob dwarven god (that's how i see myself in the game :P) some private assistance, ie, willing to trade pm's concerning things like " What the hell is a ......."

this game rulz, allready had a cave in and brained my poor little stunted subjects.  mwa ha ha ha ha. . . . and 1 idiot drowned............

oh, how often do you look at each dwarves "profile/history"?  seems awful difficult to track them all..........

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started and dunno what this some of this s*** is
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

Have you seen the wiki?  It should explain most things.  There's also a gameplay questions subforum for all your questioning needs.
A plump helmet is a purple mushroom that dwarves eat.  Plump helmet spawn are the seeds that you need to plant plump helmets.
Usually I don't look at a dwarf's profile unless they have a specific status effect (i.e. unhappy) visible from the main screen.

[ May 03, 2008: Message edited by: Karlito ]

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 07:44:00 pm »

Occasionally I just surf my dwarves' profiles for a while, for fun.  It's not require reading but it's entertaining and occasionally useful.

Some animals, when killed and eaten, leave behind shell which can be used to craft trade goods and armour.  Turtles are far and away the most common of these, being found nearly everywhere.  And sometimes having shell on hand can be very important.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 07:55:00 pm »

Welcome to the game, Gorja.

Well, the plump helmet question has been answered.

Also, the thing with shells is that you get them from turtles and cave lobsters when those are eaten (however, if either of those are used in a kitchen then the shell and any bones from them will be destroyed).

Shells and bones are usefull because you can make things out of them such as crafts (scepters, idols, rings etc) and also some basic armour (but not a full set).

Karlito has already mentioned it but I'll mention it again anyway, because meh:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

That is the link to the Dwarf Fortress wiki. It is full of useful information and has some quite useful guides on getting started. It does have spoilers in it though, so if you don't want surprises spoiled for you then you'll have to be careful what you look at... somehow.

Another useful thing to look at is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_evN4YN3t8

That is the first part of a 12-part series of video's on youtube. It is basically someone playing an ordinary game of dwarf fortress and describing what they are doing while they do it. Its not a full tutorial by any stretch of the imagination, but its still quite informative and a good guide for learning the basics of how to feed your dwarves and get things settled down.

Bricktop

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »

Thanks fella's!
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

Seeing how helpful all these folks were, I wonder how anyone can accuse this forum of being elitist. Good work on answering these questions, folks. And, enjoy the game. Don't forget to try Adventurer mode too, especially after the next patch comes out!
火族

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Keizo:
<STRONG>Seeing how helpful all these folks were, I wonder how anyone can accuse this forum of being elitist.</STRONG>

theyre only answering questions to show off how much better they are than you.  but seriously, who ever accuses these guys of being that?  theres usually a race to answer questions, no matter how many times theyve been asked.  this forum pretty much just wins.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

Usually what happens is someone starts a discussion about advertising DF in some widespread way, or about what would happen if DF went mainstream, and a bunch of people wail and lament at the idea of DF becoming mobbed by twelve-year-old idiots (I emphasize idiots- I know some of the forumites are younger and have no problem with any of them).  Then others start saying "god, you don't want any other people to know about DF?  Elitist jerks!", and usually at some point after that everyone realises a) that there's no way Toady's going to let the game be dumbed down or bought out so there's no need to panic, and b) that elitism isn't accurate because practically no-one is unhelpful or unpleasant to newb types (ie people who are merely learning the game), it's just the thought of hordes and hordes of n00bs (DF is teh best game evar LOL how u trun on teh 3d moed???????????) that gives us palpitations.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast