Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Way to stop clothes from deteriorating?  (Read 1117 times)

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Way to stop clothes from deteriorating?
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:11:57 pm »

I heard clothing deteoriation causes a good amount of lag and I am trying to boost fps without changing the game fundamentally and I was wondering what I could do to stop the deterioration(Nude dwarves arn't fun). I also recall seeing a thread to improve FPS but I could not find it I recall that one of the best ways to improve fps was to change some setting to 15. Also could anyone tell me how to make iron based minerals and bituminous coal to appear in a volcanic area?(Yeah I know i suppose its considered cheating but I hate pump stacks.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Way to stop clothes from deteriorating?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:01 pm »

Clothing deterioration doesn't cause much, if any, lag on its own, but rather the fact that dwarves claim additional clothes once theirs are worn prevents you from getting rid of the hundreds or thousands of clothing pieces that they've claimed. Those extra items do cause lag. Unfortunately, it seems that there's no way to have clothing that dwarves will come to the fort wearing that will also not wear; armor pieces of ARMORLEVEL:0 or no such tag will wear, but armor pieces with ARMORLEVEL:1 or more aren't worn as clothing.

I'm not sure which "setting to 15" would increase FPS. G_FPS, perhaps, in the init settings; that's graphical FPS, how often the game changes the display, so if the game has to update the display less often, it may be able to run faster.

Volcanic areas are typically surrounded by igneous stones, so to make a particular ore type appear around volcanoes, you'd need to add environmental specifications for the igneous layers to them. The particular tags you'd need would be:
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
Adding these two tags to the iron ores and coal would make those minerals appear in all igneous layers as veins as often as any other stone appears in those rocks.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!