Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Alignment Charts  (Read 23477 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Alignment Charts
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »

Considering that Macaques, Vultures, Ravens, and such all have the exact same ITEM_THIEF behavior, they should all be clustered together.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 04:10:51 pm »

What about megabeast and semi-megabeast alignment?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Alignment Chart
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 09:25:28 pm »

Personally, I blame the notion that paladins were somehow paragons of pure good, no matter how relentlessly their brand of "good" has been mocked for the change, although it may well just be the cultural zeitgeist.  Somehow individuality and personal freedom became associated with "acting recklessly and antisocially", whereas conformity became a virtue.

That's easy to explain.  It's a reaction against all the character types immature players like to play that are constantly screwing the party over, and it's justified by "they're chaotic neutral, I'm just playing my alignment!"  So when everyone's lawful good, there's (hopefully) less inter-party screwage going on.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 11:44:59 pm »

Considering that Macaques, Vultures, Ravens, and such all have the exact same ITEM_THIEF behavior, they should all be clustered together.
Very true; they may not all be equally relevant, though, if more players have had to deal with macaques than vultures, or if undead ravens are more dangerous in general, etc.

What about megabeast and semi-megabeast alignment?
Hmm, well, I don't think they'd do much for an animal chart seeing as they're only ever anything other than chaotic and evil if A) you (the player) are rooting for the goblins and they attack along with a siege or B) they come as diplomats -- and I'm not even sure about either, I may be mixing up semimegabeasts, titans and demons (I have limited experience so far with any, perhaps because of the way I naturally tend to play, although eventually I'd like to do more of the risky underworld-conquering stuff).

On the other hand, they might fill a nice spot on the character chart for Fortress Mode in the place of the bogeyman from Adventure Mode. While I initially thought of demons, forgotten beasts are more likely to attack your fortress (barring your opening the underworld and finding all the demons), from what I've heard? And then again, do they even use different ASCII characters or a different color or anything? I thought they're both represented by &, but I've never seen one directly that I can think of (maybe happened by a demon lawgiver in Adventurer Mode and didn't think to get a picture or memorize the color). I guess more experienced players will have to fill out some of those details.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 08:21:58 am »

So how are the new charts coming up?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2012, 08:50:43 am »

Lawful Good

Dwarves (in theory) - see ethics
Neutral Good
Fairies
Pixies
Chaotic Good
Unicorns (hence why they oppose dwarves)
Satyrs
Lawful Neutral
Dwarves
Elves
Dogs
Ant men
True Neutral
Most unintelligent creatures
Most animal men
Humans
Harmless ghosts
Giant sponges
Chaotic Neutral
Cats
Gremlins
Mountain gnomes
Dark gnomes
Lawful Evil
[LAZY] dwarven nobles
Unique demons
Snake men
Rodent men
Mummies
Neutral Evil
Goblins
Necromancers
Vampires
Chaotic Evil
Kobolds
Standard demons
Badgers
Carp
Husks
Zombies

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2012, 05:49:21 pm »

Made my own version of the alignment chart

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 12:12:25 am »

So how are the new charts coming up?
*sniff* Well, I've been under the weather and unable to think about non-technical things. Many good points have been made and I'd kinda like if a free-for-all opened up here, really -- saves my having to try to create the perfect chart when one can debate the very nature of charting. Jervous has the right idea -- totally different take on the basic elements from mine, exactly the sort of off-the-wall reinterpretations I'm hopin to collect, and I love the blocky text by the way! I might take some of the points that have been thrown around and try to put together a few more variants (Fortress, Adventurer, typical creatures with Peaceful/Savage instead of Lawful/Chaotic, famous animals was about halfway done in discussion even if it will require pidgeonholing and/or stretching to make the whole fit)... or I might not. I've got a couple other projects in the works in my spare time, some of them DF-related and some not, and there's a DF one that's nearly hit basically functional level where it could be of use to my fellow DF-players... (If anyone's wondering, it does something for Advanced World Generation that I don't know of any other utility for: making it easier to mix and match arbitrary groups of settings in arbitrary combinations for a new parameter set rather than having to set all the settings manually. But I digress.)

*adds Jervous's entry to the OP*
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]