Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miasma?  (Read 1621 times)

Hekat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Miasma?
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:01:00 pm »

My nicely stocked storage area keeps filling up with purple gas! What does this mean?, and how can I prevent it?
-H

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Miasma?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 09:59:00 pm »

Keep corpses and rotting food in a designated refuse pile.

To prevent food from rotting, put it in barrels.

Hekat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:12:00 pm »

I see. What's the procedure for putting food in barrels? I can make some, do they go to the food storage right away and have food put into them?

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 05:27:00 am »

Not exactly. First the barrels get hauled to a furniture stockpile. Then food gets placed inside the barrels. Then the barrels of food get hauled to a food stockpile.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 11:56:00 pm »

You need a few areas designated to prevent miasma.

Refuse Pile (outside)
Graveyard (outside)
Furniture Storage
Food Storage

That should be sufficient.  A barrel cannot have food placed in it unless it already occupies a furniture storage tile.

Note that you CAN put your refuse pile INSIDE the fortress, but it will still generate miasma.  This isn't really a problem (I usually make two 6x7 refuse piles inside, with doors blocking them off from neighboring rooms), as most dwarves only spend the minimum amount of time needed going to or from the refuse pile.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

For some reason my current fortress was having severe problems with food hauling jobs at the Butchers Shop. So every time they slaughtered an animal, the shops would fill up with miasma. So I built a new area with seperate rooms with doors for each individual butcher's shop, to keep miasma in.

Don't know what sort of point I was trying to make there, I just figured it was relevant to what you guys were talking about.

Oh, and if you couldn't gather from what all those posts were saying, you Build Barrels, (normally at the carpenter's shop), and the dwarves will automatically put food in them. Make sure you do have a furniture stockpile, because they need to be put there first. Also, if you plan to brew alcohol at a still, you NEED barrels for that. Check out the wiki, it has a lot of info about stuff.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 11:42:00 pm »

You sure about the furniture stockpile bit?  I'm under the impression barrels can be grabbed straight from the workshop to go to a food stockpile -- but only if you have no furniture stockpiles (otherwise a haul-to-furniture-stockpile job locks on it first).

Carpenters can turn them out so fast, though, that you do need a furniture stockpile.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 11:51:00 pm »

A furniture stockpile is required before dwarves will use barrels.  Barrels are only usable for food storage when they're in a food or a furniture stockpile.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 01:03:00 am »

I think we're both right. Its probably they can only grab barrels that are "available", which means ones sitting on the stockpile, or sitting in the carpenter's shop and haven't been claimed by a job on the job list to move them TO the stockpile.

Think so, but either way, its screwy. Once Toady puts in that dwarves can use items that are already claimed for a job (hopefully he'll put it in), it should make this whole issue mute.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 01:16:00 am »

You don't need the furniture stockpile for the barrels, only the bins.  I rarely use furniture stockpiles because of all the delays it makes (it's horrible when you're filling a pond with a few buckets =| )