Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TL_COLOR_MODIFIER issues.  (Read 1837 times)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
TL_COLOR_MODIFIER issues.
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »

So I have 2 creatures below

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:WERESCORPION_V]
[DESCRIPTION:A monster resembling a scorpion that walks on two legs like a man. It twitches and moves erratically. It is said that only bronze can harm the creature. Now you will know why you fear the night.]
[NAME:werescorpion:werescorpions:werescorpion]
[CASTE_NAME:werescorpion:werescorpions:werescorpion]
[CREATURE_TILE:165][COLOR:6:0:0]
[CARNIVORE]
[PARALYZEIMMUNE]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[MEANDERER]
[CAN_LEARN]
[CRAZED]
[BONECARN]
[ATTACK_TRIGGER:20:0:0]
[NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER]
[EVIL]
[NO_UNIT_TYPE_COLOR]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:50]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[SUPERNATURAL]
[SPEED:1000]
[PREFSTRING:huge pincers]
[PREFSTRING:stinging tail]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[NO_SLEEP]
[HOMEOTHERM:10040]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[EXTRAVISION][NOFEAR]
[NOBONES]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:10]
[GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:1:1000]
[MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:INORGANIC:BRONZE:10000:1]
[BODY:HUMANOID_ARMLESS:4EYES:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:TAIL:TAIL_STINGER:HUMANOID_JOINTS:UPPERBODY_PINCERS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_TISSUES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:VENOM:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen werescorpion venom]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen werescorpion venom]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:werescorpion venom]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:werescorpion venom]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling werescorpion venom]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling werescorpion venom]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:werescorpion sting]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:300:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:10:END:50]
[CE_NAUSEA:SEV:300:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:0:PEAK:20:END:50]
[CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:75:PROB:100:LOCALIZED:START:0:PEAK:5:END:10]
[EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VENOM]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:850000]
[ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:sting:stings]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:5]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:150]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:VENOM:LIQUID:100:100]
[SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION:WERESCORPION_CURSE_V]
[ATTACK:TAIL_SMASH:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL]
[ATTACK_VERB:slam:slams]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:300]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:2500]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:PINCER:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:PINCER]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:snatch:snatches]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:500]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:500]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:2000]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:STANCE]
[ATTACK_VERB:kick:kicks]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[DESCRIPTION:A monster resembling a scorpion that walks on two legs like a man. It twitches and moves erratically. It is said that only bronze can harm the creature. Now you will know why you fear the night.]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CHITIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:PALE_BLUE:1:CREAM:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:PALE_PINK:1:SEPIA:1:TAUPE_PALE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:shell:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_YELLOW:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:WERESCORPION_NV]
[NAME:werescorpion:werescorpions:werescorpion]
[CASTE_NAME:werescorpion:werescorpions:werescorpion]
[CREATURE_TILE:165][COLOR:6:0:0]
[CARNIVORE]
[PARALYZEIMMUNE]
[LARGE_PREDATOR]
[MEANDERER]
[CAN_LEARN]
[CRAZED]
[BONECARN]
[ATTACK_TRIGGER:20:0:0]
[NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER]
[EVIL]
[NO_UNIT_TYPE_COLOR]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
[LAIR:SIMPLE_BURROW:50]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[SUPERNATURAL]
[SPEED:1000]
[PREFSTRING:huge pincers]
[PREFSTRING:stinging tail]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[NO_SLEEP]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[EXTRAVISION][NOFEAR]
[NOBONES]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:10]
[GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:1:1000]
[MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER:INORGANIC:BRONZE:10000:1]
[BODY:HUMANOID_ARMLESS:4EYES:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:TAIL:TAIL_STINGER:HUMANOID_JOINTS:UPPERBODY_PINCERS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1050000]
[ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER]
[ATTACK_VERB:stab:stabs]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:20]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:550]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:3000]
[SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION:WERESCORPION_CURSE_NV]
[ATTACK:TAIL_SMASH:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL]
[ATTACK_VERB:slam:slams]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:600]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:4000]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:PINCER:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:PINCER]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:snatch:snatches]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:500]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:600]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:2250]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_TYPE:STANCE]
[ATTACK_VERB:kick:kicks]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CHITIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:MIDNIGHT_BLUE:1:BLACK:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_OLIVE:1:DARK_SCARLET:1:DARK_TAN:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:shell:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:IRIS_EYE_YELLOW:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]

As you can see, they are merely subtypes of each other. Problem is, they keep swapping shell colors on me. A Venomous one shouldn't be black, but it is. Do I need them to all be in their own text files or something? What's going on?
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: TL_COLOR_MODIFIER issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »

Are you sure your keeping track of which ones which, try adding a line in the description to distinguish them temporarily. Also the problem could be the creature that's turned into them, if they don't have the same colors as the base creature it normally crashes, that's why generated werebeasts come in one color only.(I know that doesn't make sense, but they don't crash if they don't have a choice.)  Lastly it could be the interactions reference the wrong creatures, there bites could very well turn creatures into the wrong werescorpion.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:48:44 pm »

Are you sure your keeping track of which ones which, try adding a line in the description to distinguish them temporarily. Also the problem could be the creature that's turned into them, if they don't have the same colors as the base creature it normally crashes, that's why generated werebeasts come in one color only.(I know that doesn't make sense, but they don't crash if they don't have a choice.)  Lastly it could be the interactions reference the wrong creatures, there bites could very well turn creatures into the wrong werescorpion.

I just tried what you suggested, and I found another problem, for some reason I'm getting shell colors of amethyst now. Not sure why, but it's a bit annoying to have these weird errors messing up my otherwise normal creatures.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »

And now that I reduced the colors to one, it also crashes frequently when looking at the description. Damnit.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:02:00 pm »

Sorry about causing a crash,  I was wrong about not giving them a choice, it seems that generated weres cause crashes too.  I'll try actually testing them out in the arena, instead of displaying my ignorance.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »

Sorry about causing a crash,  I was wrong about not giving them a choice, it seems that generated weres cause crashes too.  I'll try actually testing them out in the arena, instead of displaying my ignorance.
I've worked it out anyways, it's something with the TL_COLOR_MODIFIER. You can't change it to something the original creature didn't have or something. I just took them out and threw the colors in the description.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:47:08 pm »

Okay but did the base creature have chitin? I was starting to experiment with that and guess that it was translating the skin color modifier to the chitin color modifier and when it didn't have enough variables it overflowed into some other color modifier, probably the eyes color, and then on to the next creatures chitin color modifier.  Sorry for posting my what I don't really know, but I'll try adding in shades of the colors you had originally to see if it keeps it from overflowing if that is what it did.

However it is strange that limiting chitin colors to one causes it to crash and limiting eye colors did not, and I;m not very experienced at this last time I messed with any color it was eye color and I managed to create a creature with different colored eyes.

I am having trouble downloading your mod from DFFD, in order to use your interactions, The creatures themselves don't have any trouble in the arena, but that's hardly unexpected.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:00:12 am by Courtesy Arloban »

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 12:01:10 am »

Okay but did the base creature have chitin? I was starting to experiment with that and guess that it was translating the skin color modifier to the chitin color modifier and when it didn't have enough variables it overflowed into some other color modifier, probably the eyes color, and then on to the next creatures chitin color modifier.  Sorry for posting my what I don't really know, but I'll try adding in shades of the colors you had originally to see if it keeps it from overflowing if that is what it did.

However it is strange that limiting chitin colors to one causes it to crash and limiting eye colors did not, and I;m not very experienced at this last time I messed with any color it was eye color and I managed to create a creature with different colored eyes.
Actually, I think the fact that this and my other werecreatures didn't crash before was just straight dumb luck. It did have the same chitin modifier before though, when it was still just a copy of the bark scorpion. And it all worked fine in the arena when I tested it (which is why I released it, *facepalm), but I was just spawning the creature, not transforming a human into it. It's TL_COLOR_MODIFIER's weird behaviour with transformations. If a creature already has a color modifier defined, you can't change it to anything not defined in the original creature, or you get issues. The obvious solution is, don't do that, or use what's already in the base creature's color modifier. For me though, I don't think humans should be able to have dark scarlet skin simply for the sake of me using it in a transformation.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:19 am »

Ah that's why I was asking, go ahead and add the color's to Humans, and any other victim's that you want to.  I meant the creature being turned into the werescorpian when I was saying original or base.  I finally got the page up on DFFD and found that your werecreature files are named the same as mine, so I had a little renaming to do before copying them to my workraws.  I also had already done some tweaking on the werescorpians so I had to copy and paste them as well first.  However my attempts to prevent an overflow, would produce even more colors, causing the scorpians to crash, so I just changed the names/descriptions to make sure I could identify them in the arena.  I am going to create a creature called AA_MEDIUM that's a Human with all the extra colors for the next arena test, but i'll probably get oddly colored scorpians agan.

Results-- Game Crashed upon veiwing werescorpian made of aa medium base, even though every chitin color was represented as a skin color, leading me to beleive that maybe I need to add a chitin color to the base creature without adding a chitin layer, it would still need a material, and I'd like for that material to have a use, maybe as nail polish.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:42:22 am by Courtesy Arloban »

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:35 am »

I don't know what to say, it seemed to work with a venomous and non-venomous werescorpian using aa medium as a base and not crashing, but when they converted the manicured human into one of their own the game doesn't let me veiw her.  It doesn't crash it just ignores my request to see her description.
errorlog has a lot of this...
AA_MEDIUM:FEMALE:thumb, right hand, layer 1: Tissue CHITIN was not found, using first tissue instead
Before the transformation I could veiw her, but there was no description of her nail polish color.
...but tissue chitin was defined -- Posting the raws
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:19:17 am »

Ah that's why I was asking, go ahead and add the color's to Humans, and any other victim's that you want to.  I meant the creature being turned into the werescorpian when I was saying original or base.  I finally got the page up on DFFD and found that your werecreature files are named the same as mine, so I had a little renaming to do before copying them to my workraws.  I also had already done some tweaking on the werescorpians so I had to copy and paste them as well first.  However my attempts to prevent an overflow, would produce even more colors, causing the scorpians to crash, so I just changed the names/descriptions to make sure I could identify them in the arena.  I am going to create a creature called AA_MEDIUM that's a Human with all the extra colors for the next arena test, but i'll probably get oddly colored scorpians agan.

Results-- Game Crashed upon veiwing werescorpian made of aa medium base, even though every chitin color was represented as a skin color, leading me to beleive that maybe I need to add a chitin color to the base creature without adding a chitin layer, it would still need a material, and I'd like for that material to have a use, maybe as nail polish.
That's very odd, though I'm really not going to mess with the human raws. Half of the reason my mod looks like it does is because I wanted it to change nothing in the normal raws (aside from that little tissue fix), so it would be easy to install and uninstall.

However, I can say that once or twice the werescorp didn't crash when I looked at it before, and the chitin was always either pale blue or amethyst(which I didn't add in). Doesn't matter now though, because as you can see from the new raws(on wimbli), I just removed the TL modifiers, and now I'm playtesting it and there are no crashes at all.

Now if I can just figure out why werescorps can't wrestle with their legs, I'll have fixed the last creature bug in the mod.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 01:35:25 am »

I got it to work, I had used Add Tissue where I should've used Use Tissue Template. I'm glad you found an alternative, but now we know more about werecreatures, and if we could figure out how to get nail colors to show in the game it could be a interesting addition.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hate to say it like this, but I can legwrestle just fine as a werescorpian, after I lay on the ground.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:46:56 am by Courtesy Arloban »