Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to reverse a flood....  (Read 1454 times)

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to reverse a flood....
« on: October 17, 2006, 07:22:00 am »

ok, 'nother stupid question (meaning i shouldn't have done it in the first place).  i mined out a separate area (with lockable entrance so nobody gets drowned) and wanted to mine out space to flood to make an underground forest.  now it's flooded, very nicely, but the water won't go down.  where did i goof up?  can it be fixed?  i turned off the lever so the floodgates are closed but i'm afraid i may have to let the water out somehow....  :confused:
cause of unexplainable mischief

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how to reverse a flood....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 11:28:00 am »

Don't let the flood out.. I'm not certain of the specifics, but it is very easy to flood the entire world.

Did you just set up a floodgate next to a river?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »

If the water has flooded so that it touches a river square, you're pretty much screwed, since the game considers any flood that hits a natural water source to be permanent.

So if you have a situation where you have:

code:

#####R
.....R
...XXR
.....R
#####R

(where # - wall, . - open, X - floodgate, R-river)
If you open both floodgates, the flood waters will hit the river, and thus stick around forever.

Which is why you want something like this:

code:

######R
....##R
....XXR
....##R
######R

[ October 17, 2006: Message edited by: AlStar ]

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:48:00 am »

ok, thanks guys.  i have one consolation, though.  i had this voice rattling 'round in my head reminding me to back up my saves and i had very luckily saved and backed up BEFORE they threw the switch.  right now i'm hanging on to that backup and attempting to patch the holes leading to the riverbank with floodgates.  if this doesn't work i guess i'll just build another fortress.  it's still fun.  :D

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 09:08:00 am »

I found out that bridges can conduct man-made floods too, don't expect the water to spill off the sides ;p

Lith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 10:06:00 pm »

I think this scheme is more easy and quick:

code:

▒▒▒▒▒▒,~≈
▒,.;▒▒~~≈
+.,.X_≈≈~
▒;,.▒▒~≈≈
▒▒▒▒▒▒.~~
▒.,;▒,.~≈
▒;ò.▒≈~≈~
+..,▒.~≈≈
▒▒▒▒▒▒≈≈~

[ October 27, 2006: Message edited by: Lith ]

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 10:36:00 am »

thanks for the help, everybody.  i think i'm getting the hang of starting out now.  if i can just keep the wolves from the door long enough to get some nobles in town this could be really fun (i hope  ;) )

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »

I believe I read in the dev notes that plans to have cave river water dry during the winter are in place, so we can fix floodgates, etc.  Hopefully that'll allow you to get your treefarm back and me my original farm back.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA