Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LNP pop cap permanent?  (Read 1879 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
LNP pop cap permanent?
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:07:28 am »

Hey there, i was just curious if the pop cap in DF is permenant to the map or adjustable all the time?

I want to build a fort using only maybe 30 dwarves and not have floods of migrants appear while under construction.

I want to get the layout and plans done properly without having 100 dwarves smash the place up every few hours with tantrum spirals and make the place a rotten mess.

Would it be possible to limit the pop cap for a few years until i have the constructions and stockpiles done and loaded then remove pop cap and have the migrants then turn up to the completed place?

Currently i manage to get a bit of work done before the migrant floods start coming and starts to push the dwarves over the edge, incinerating them doesnt help much and also pushes the dwarves over limit and spams the place with ghosts.  I just want to build in piece for a while without having to start pumping most res into coffins/plaques for all the smashed down tantrums.

Would adding then removing a pop cap work for what i need or would it just lock me to the cap for good?

Thx for look, foil.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:12:00 am by foil »

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LNP pop cap permanent?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:38 am »

Yes, you can change the population cap in the middle of a game and it will have effect.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 09:13:36 am »

Yes, you can change the population cap in the middle of a game and it will have effect.

Ah sweet, just going to build a new land then, not worth trying to save the current land with its 200 odd coffins taking up 1/3 space of whole place lol.

Also whats the best way to keep 100-200 dwarves happy and busy without keeping them all in one place waiting to explode into tantrums at 1st little thing?

Is it poss to have forts numbers climb to 200-500-beyond if managed well enough or is it asking a bit too much of the game atm?

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:06:29 am »

Be aware that decreasing the pop limit is not recognized immediately but only after the dwarven caravan left you and reported to the outside world that you are above the limit. This can lead to some more migrant waves appearing after you hit the limit, so better set it lower than what you really want.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »

Depends on the version you're using. In 31.25 I had migrants stop immediately. Maybe that was just me though.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:13:26 pm »

Also whats the best way to keep 100-200 dwarves happy and busy without keeping them all in one place waiting to explode into tantrums at 1st little thing?
Mist generator.
Rooms of their own.
Nice dining room.
Nice food.
Nice furniture to look at.
Lack of deaths.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:21:35 am »

Is it poss to have forts numbers climb to 200-500-beyond if managed well enough or is it asking a bit too much of the game atm?
Everything Sutremaine said in the post above. Also don't worry about keeping dwarfs busy, once the fort is established, there will be less to do and you will have idlers all the time.
I have got to almost 500 dwarfs at times, but that's just for my own amusement. You don't even need 100 to actually "run" the fort and I have 150 idlers all the time. FPS drops with bigger populations, though it seems to me the biggest drops are after 100 and 200. 500 hasn't made my FPS much worse than it was at 250 (i guess because they are rarely all busy at the same time).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:23:12 am by XXSockXX »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:05:25 pm »

Mist generator.
Rooms of their own.
Nice dining room.
Nice food.
Nice furniture to look at.
Lack of deaths.
In that order IMO.

Depends on the version you're using. In 31.25 I had migrants stop immediately. Maybe that was just me though.
The number of migrants you get (or if you get migrants) has depended on the liason reporting your population since at least version 40d.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 03:07:24 pm »

Your inti file population settings update immediately. Howewever, the crucial aspect is your outpost liason in the fall. If you set the cap at 100 but you have 99 dwarves, and then your liason arrives, he will send more migrants. But if you had 101 then you will be free of migrants for a year. Set it to 30. You'll get migrants for the first 2 years and then it'll stop until you stabilize. However this could be anywhere from 25 to 100 dwarves total o_o

Now, for tantrum spiral avoidance you need to prevent dwarves from meeting each other. Make multiple meeting halls; many large dining rooms and statue gardens and wells. Also, keep a few dwarves on 24/7 military duty (no breaks no friends).

Last (and actually most important) set world gen to the minimal 5 years. You won't get necromancers, werewolves, dragons, or vampires. BUT ALSO you won't get all the young migrant orphans caused by them.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 03:16:38 pm »

Howewever, the crucial aspect is your outpost liason in the fall.
It's the caravan, not the liaison: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120462.msg3875075

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »

I need to read more quietest