Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Closest Dining Room/Garden?  (Read 1450 times)

trachten

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Closest Dining Room/Garden?
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:53:00 pm »

When a dwarf needs to eat or take a break, is there any logic to the dining room or statue garden that he picks (like go to the closest one)?

I'd like to have a sub-dining room and sub-statue garden for my miners working close to the lava so they don't trek all the way back to my main dining room and statue garden all the time.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Closest Dining Room/Garden?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 03:38:00 pm »

They mostly go to their favorite, but prefer ones that they own.  There may be a bit of distance optimizing, but probably not much, since right now they probably choose the table prior to selecting the food, which will also be at some arbitrary location.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

trachten

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 03:20:00 pm »

Toady,

Ok, thanks.  

So I could build a table for each miner and assign it to them but even if I had a small food stockpile nearby that takes from the main stockpile far away my miners will still randomly choose between the two stockpiles for food?

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:23:00 pm »

Do dwarves only choose from food that they could actually reach, or from all food? If they are smart enough to only choose food they can path to, perhaps you could disconnect the miners from the distant foods and dining areas by raising some bridges?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 01:44:00 am »

I've noticed that dwarves are using my wells paste the chasm instead of going all the way back for a drink.  That could be because the barrels are all occupied, though.