Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital - Treating Babies?  (Read 824 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospital - Treating Babies?
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:26:42 pm »

As the tin says, one mother carrying a baby fought on my last siege, she used the baby as meat shield, she went unscratched but the baby has a broken limb, requires diagnosis and ironically a crutch (like he wasn't clinging on her mother for movement, go figure  ::) )

Is there a way for the baby to be treated at the Hospital? or do I have to wait for him to become a child and then he would immediately fall because not being able to walk and be brought to rest in the hospital as usual?

I'm thinking forcing a separation... not sure how to set it up, I usually get them separated by flushing accidents with my pumps...  :P

In the other end of the spectrum, I had mothers getting injured themselves and the babies going unscratched, the dwarves rescued the mother, leaving the baby alone behind in the middle of the field, brought her to rest at the hospital, meanwhile the baby would crawl (or maybe roll or drag?) himself to the meeting zone, when the mother leaves the hospital, immediately gets a "seeking infant" job, and they get happily reunited in the meeting zone...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:28:46 pm by Kaos »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Hospital - Treating Babies?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:48 pm »

Dwarfs don't walk to the hospital, if they can walk, they're healthy enough to go! Instead they have to be unconscious before a Dwarf comes to haul them to the hospital. That baby is pretty much dead if the mother decided to hang on to the baby for shits and giggles.
Quote from: Urist McMother
Baby made a great meatshield today! Who's a great meatshield! You're a great meatshield!

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:54:07 pm »

Dwarfs don't walk to the hospital, if they can walk, they're healthy enough to go! Instead they have to be unconscious before a Dwarf comes to haul them to the hospital. That baby is pretty much dead if the mother decided to hang on to the baby for shits and giggles.
Baby made a great meatshield today! Who's a great meatshield! You're a great meatshield!

I feel morbid and ashamed for thinking thats the best use of babies/children yet.  8)
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:57:17 pm »

I disagree, one of my dwarves was left on the field with a broken foot and ankle for almost a season (my hospital was full, half the beds used by resting dwarves, the other half by nappers)

After my medics ended with all the injured and beds got freed, some dwarf hauled the injured to my hospital, he wasn't resting, he began to rest when he arrived at the hospital.

I've also seen dwarves with broken hands or cuts in the upper body walk by themselves to the hospital and rest, no need for someone to haul them. These seem to be able to rest on the floor if there are no beds available, but the ones that can't walk won't be rescued until beds are available.

The baby has been injured for a season now, in extreme pain, yet seems fine, just the broken leg, no passing out or falling unconscious...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:07 pm »

I've also seen dwarves with broken hands or cuts in the upper body walk by themselves to the hospital and rest, no need for someone to haul them. These seem to be able to rest on the floor if there are no beds available, but the ones that can't walk won't be rescued until beds are available.

Oh right, forgot Dwarfs who "rest injuries" :P

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:34 am »

You can try burrowing the mother in the hospital. If she and the baby sleep on a bed, maybe the child will get attention.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:01:48 am »

I have a fort where it is raining revolting filth outside which eventually gives dwarves bruises all over the body. They then automaticly go to the hospital and rest there for a moment. They annoy my doctor that way because he schedules a diagnose for them but before he can do it they are fit again, leaving the hospital.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:53:19 am »

You can try burrowing the mother in the hospital. If she and the baby sleep on a bed, maybe the child will get attention.
might try this, maybe assigning a hospital bed (by creating a room using one of the hospital beds) to the dwarf mother?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:20:56 pm »

I feel morbid and ashamed for thinking thats the best use of babies/children yet.  8)

See my sig
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479