Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where did my DF window go?  (Read 1738 times)

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where did my DF window go?
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

Using Windows XP, I was playing Dwarf Fortress, windowed, in Fortress mode; then I switched windows, or perhaps minimized all windows, or something. I'm not quite sure. Next time I tried to go back to playing, I noticed my Dwarf Fortress window had just... completely vanished. This has not happened to me before.

The DF window isn't selectable when I press Alt-Tab; it doesn't show in the taskbar or system tray; and the DF window isn't listed in Task Manager; but the dwarfort.exe process is listed in Task Manager, and I can still hear the in-game music playing.

This may well be a silly problem of Windows rather than DF itself, but I wasn't sure, and I would like to save my dwarves from certain doom. Does any kind soul have any advice or suggestions on how to find out where my DF window is hiding, or perhaps even how to save my game so I can then close and reopen DF?

Sykirobme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where did my DF window go?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

Sometimes it disappears off my task bar, but minimizing windows until DF becomes visible brings the button back.

Though you did say you minimized the windows, I think, so I'm not sure....

ka KenHR on most other fora.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sykirobme:
<STRONG>Sometimes it disappears off my task bar, but minimizing windows until DF becomes visible brings the button back.

Though you did say you minimized the windows, I think, so I'm not sure....</STRONG>

Oh, yeah, I recall that's happened to me before, too. Thanks. Unfortunately though, I don't think it's the same problem this time. It just happened with a different program, so I think something's broken.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »

it happens to me fairly often. I run several windows, and df disappears from the taskbar. If i minimize or close everything else, the df window is always sitting on the bottom, and if i click it it reappears on the task bar. I have never had it disappear completely. however, when i am saving or generating worlds, it often shows up as "not responding", when it isnt locked up, just very busy.
-Toast-_

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by toast:
<STRONG>it happens to me fairly often. I run several windows, and df disappears from the taskbar. If i minimize or close everything else, the df window is always sitting on the bottom, and if i click it it reappears on the task bar. I have never had it disappear completely. however, when i am saving or generating worlds, it often shows up as "not responding", when it isnt locked up, just very busy.</STRONG>

Everything you describe has happened to me fairly often, too. This time though, it seems the window's just ceased to exist. I've tried removing all other windows, and DF is nowhere to be seen.

Never mind, though; while carrying out my own troubleshooting, I managed to crash the computer, so I had to reboot and reopen DF anyway.