Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort Review & Quiz: BirdsSalves  (Read 3741 times)

Thuvian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort Review & Quiz: BirdsSalves
« on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »

The Fort Review threads have always been good fun, but I've never been really good at them because I can't read the default tileset in DF very well (DFMA is also a bit of a lost cause for me). Given that there are many out there that do use tilesets (especially given the ease of accessibility with the Lazy Newb Pack) I'm putting together a Fort Review thread using a tileset, as well as having some extra features and quiz questions. Hopefully we'll all have a rollicking good time. If you don't want to do the quiz, but do want to make some comments/observations, feel free to do so.

Update: By popular (100% of the commenting audience) request, I've also posted default graphic images for your viewing pleasure. These images are located further down in the thread.

This post is going to broken up into:
Background Information on the Fort - A variety of nonpictorial information that should provide some context.
Images of the Fort - A series of z-level images capturing the interesting parts of the fort.
Quiz Questions - A try your luck series of questions to evaluate your dwarfiness. Socks of various degrees of quality are available for participants. The questions have a wide range of difficulty, some are obvious, some are straightforward if you catch the relevant clues in the information provided, some will require hunches based upon your years and DF knowledge and subtle clues hidden in the information, and some will require pure dwarven psychic powers to guess correctly. I'll score each quiz and announce the results every now and then. Complete answers to the quiz will be given in a few days once everyone who is interested gets a chance to take the quiz without being tempted to cheat.

I hope you enjoy it, so let's begin.

I present to you the Fort:

Background Information

Civilized World Population
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

World Animal Populations

Current Stock levels

Mastercraft dwarven !Science! Challenge

Images

Stock Menu

Level 82

Level 81

Level 80

Level 79

Level 78

Level 77

Level 76

Level 75

Level 74

Level 73

Level 72

Level 71

Level 62

Level 61

Level 60

Level 33

Level world map

Quiz Questions

I'll score quizzes on a regular basis and provide complete answers in a few days.
And that's it. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:12:19 am by Thuvian »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Fort Review & Quiz: BirdsSalves
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:00:05 pm »

This is so insanely nerdy that I have to have a go. By the way, I saw all the pictures first because clicking spoilers in reverse order cuts down on the amount of scrolling.

I'm done for the moment, this is taking forever.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »

Looking only at your stocks, I'd say your primary supplemental industry, ie stuff to trade, is tools. All of your other goods seem to match up with what is typical for a fort your size. Either that or you have a MASSIVE mead industry.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Thuvian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:44:12 am »

Sutremaine is awarded a (pig tail fiber sock)!
Sutremaine has been quite content lately. made a satisfying acquisition lately.  He earned 18 points on his quiz recently. He was exasperated at the quiz length recently. He has been annoyed by a tileset recently. He took a quiz recently. He admired a nerdy endeavor recently.

Schizotek - Sadly the fort has nearly no tools, nor has there been any mead production. The high tool count comes from a misclassified item.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:46:03 am by Thuvian »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:50:34 am »

I like the quiz idea. Unfortunatly, I can't read the tilesets, I'm too much used to ASCII
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Thuvian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:14:50 am »

ASCII version

Stock Menu

Level 82

Level 81

Level 80

Level 79

Level 78

Level 77

Level 76

Level 75

Level 74

Level 73

Level 72

Level 71

Level 62

Level 61

Level 60

Level 33
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:20:41 am by Thuvian »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:36:54 am »

I like the quiz idea. Unfortunatly, I can't read the tilesets, I'm too much used to ASCII

I only speak ASCIInglish :C

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »

Oh, the default tileset make reading everything so much easier. I'll change some answers based on that.

Finishing up here because the rest of the screenshots are large and are going to take a while.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Thuvian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 04:59:14 am »

Sutremaine is awarded a (cave spider silk sock)!

Sutremaine has been quite content lately. He has made a satisfying acquisition lately.  He earned 29 points on his quiz recently. He has made a satisfying acquisition lately.  He took a quiz recently. He admired a tileset recently. He earned 18 points on his quiz recently. He was exasperated at the quiz length recently. He has been annoyed by a tileset recently. He took a quiz recently. He admired a nerdy endeavor recently.

Sutremaine scored a 4 out of 5 on the bonus questions.

Thuvian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:12:37 pm »

As promised the answers.

If you still wanted to take the quiz, feel free to do so, then self-grade and post. I'm curious about how DFers think based upon experience and playing style.

Background Information

Quiz Questions
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:58:47 pm by Thuvian »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 07:35:42 pm »

Yay ASCII!

Looks very efficient.  Good stockpiling.  Appreciate touches like the "for-melt" stockpile, training under-the-sun, dorm/bedroom combos for owned good collection.  Probably took me a couple of years before I was doing similar things.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.