Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: *spoiler* immigrants  (Read 1324 times)

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
*spoiler* immigrants
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:25 am »

How many vampire immigrants do you have in your fort?  I have ~150 dwarves and 4 are vampires.  I thought I had another one but after walling him off in a closet he died of thirst so I was wrong about him (may he rest in peace.)

I really want to have my vampire dwarves fight my captured crundles, goblins, kobolds, giant toads, etc. but I haven't had the time to arrange a suitable venue for the FUN. 

Has anyone else done this?  Are vampires tough enough they can go it against some unarmed gobs while unarmed themselves?  With so many to play with I intend to find out, starting small perhaps.

Does anyone have a strategy for finding out what item a walled off dwarf cannot reach?  I get store owned item job cancelled messages regarding my walled off vampires (and warren'ed children for that matter) but have no good strategy for finding the item in question in forbidding it. 

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *spoiler* immigrants
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:13:29 am »

I would say -most- Dwarven vampires will win unarmed versus unarmed, because they simply have skilled up more.
As an example. I had about 8 regular dwarves hit a beserker dwarf with their crossbows and almost nothing happened.
My vampire mayor w/o uniform joins in, started choking the beserker right away and won without any resistance

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:45 am »

Use DFHack and "clearowned" or whatever the exact command is.  Since owned clothing is bugged, this is considered legit by most people.  This command will cause DFHack to make any owned items unowned, and marked for dumping.  You can set it for things like "clothing on the ground" or "clothing on the ground and being worn" or "owned food" and such.

With Toady fixing/revamping taming animals now, a longtime issue, he might be changing clotheswearing and hopefully this will get fixed here soon!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:17:06 am »

Does anyone have a strategy for finding out what item a walled off dwarf cannot reach?  I get store owned item job cancelled messages regarding my walled off vampires (and warren'ed children for that matter) but have no good strategy for finding the item in question in forbidding it.
Have you tried just turning off all labors, including hauling for that dwarf? if so, he's probably trying something like deconstructing that doesn't require any labors turned on.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 03:49:45 pm »

Have you tried just turning off all labors, including hauling for that dwarf? if so, he's probably trying something like deconstructing that doesn't require any labors turned on.

Well me thinks girlinhat is on to something, iirc, dwarves will randomly(?) organize their owned items, such as clothes and.. beard tassles? This was also a problem with minting coins as well. It also might not be random as much as "No Job" job and just trying to organize their items. dfhack might be the only way, or you could assign them a room within the walled off area with some cabinets and coffers, might work if you dont want to use dfhack
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:05 pm »

For a dwarf to declare an item as his new property, he must be able to path to it (he doesn't need to actually walk to it) and he must be in the NoJob state. Mind, he only needs to be NoJob for the briefest of instants to 'make a new acquisition' and then he can get his next, normal job.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.