Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woodcutter/Miner uniforms  (Read 2802 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Woodcutter/Miner uniforms
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:20:22 pm »

I know there has been a longstanding bug that caused woodcutters and miners to have equipment problems when assigned a military uniform, which I learned the hard way.

However, I recently forgot this issue and drafted my woodcutter and gave him a simple axe+shield uniform, and he functioned perfectly in both civilian and military roles. Kept the uniform when his squad was activated and stationed, kept the axe to use while chopping trees when off duty, and stockpiled the axe if I disabled his woodcutting labor and removed the uniform.

Has this bug been resolved, or did I just get lucky?

Apologies if this has been addressed already; the bug tracker doesn't seem very searchable.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcutter/Miner uniforms
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:45:15 pm »

At least in version .02, for miners it was still bugged (My vampire will not wear armor while mining job is active). Haven't tried in .03 or .04 yet, and haven't tried with woodcutters. I definitly will try again now. I hope you didn't just get lucky.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:41 pm »

I'll further add that this wasn't a highly skilled woodcutter, probably a level or two below Proficient. Not sure if it would matter.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »

What you're describing is consistent with how it's always been.  Woodcutters and miners will put on a military uniform while active.  The problem is that they won't keep the uniform on when non-active.  When it's just a shield and an axe, it's not such a big deal.  When it's tons of stuff, and they drop it wherever they're standing when the get deactivated, it gets to be a bigger problem.

Another part of the problem is that they won't use the same weapon for their civilian and military roles.  So if you've only got one pick, no-go on a military miner; and if you draft a woodcutter, the first thing he'll do is drop his axe, then run to grab a different axe.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:31:39 pm »

Hmm. I did have only the single axe, but he wasn't dropping it before heading back to chop trees when I deactivated his squad (and vice versa).

I haven't tried to replicate yet, though. Was in 34.02 btw.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:55 pm »

Maybe he was accepting the assignment of the same axe?  That alone would be an improvement.

what about the shield?  Dropping it?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:35:22 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »

Kept the shield, carried it along while chopping wood. Unfortunately I deleted that save when the new release came out yesterday, and won't have much time to experiment until the weekend.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:09:38 am »

I think someone figured out that it only doesn't work if you brought the axe (or pick) on embark.  Homemade weapons or weapons bought from traders work fine.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:32:17 am »

I've found the uniform bug still affects my dwarves, if i don't use my embark picks and axes before assigning them to a squad they'll be unavailable for mining/wood cutting. I can't remember if after using them first they'll be unavailable for use by the military, i'll test again later.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.