Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wool Stacks Spinned into single Yarn stack?  (Read 1920 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wool Stacks Spinned into single Yarn stack?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 02:19:55 pm »

I checked in my game, the body part is a "badger sow right ear" that got chopped off when my militia killed a badger that was annoying my workers, the "badger sow mutilated corpse" got butchered and made into masterful roasts, yet the ear is still lying on my refuse stockpile.

Interestingly, that was several seasons ago, and the ear doesn't say "rotten".

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
Re: Wool Stacks Spinned into single Yarn stack?
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 03:16:53 pm »

About bones and such, it has been tested that animals do produce bigger stacks of fat/meat depending on their attributes: "incredible muscles", "untold amounts of fat" and such...

But with what certainty? I'm sure it's not always. I had new born skinny-tinny hatchlings who were giving me lots of fat and meat, and adult "fat" or "muscular" birds who were giving me only a skull. The same with elephants (and more amusing, since newborn elephants weights so many times less than an adult). There must be place for RNG here somewhere.
Sufficiently small animals (ducks, rabbits, cavies, etc) only ever butcher to skulls (which is really annoying, I want a cavy farm).

Does anyone have real evidence of fat or muscular animals giving different butchering returns (or of these characteristics being inherited)?  I've always been suspicious that this is just something people like to talk about, a la booze bombs.

It would be easy to test butchering returns (embark with a bunch of animals, check their descriptions, butcher them, document the result and do a bit of statistics), but really tedious to test heritability with a high enough sample size to be statistically meaningful, especially since you can't rely on the first generation, as the females may have been impregnated by undesirable males before they were butchered, unless you embark with a lot of females and only one male, and then analyze your results, comparing the mother's description to the offsprings', ignoring the father's contribution.
Pages: 1 [2]