Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computer programming question (tricking minecraft)  (Read 1554 times)

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Computer programming question (tricking minecraft)
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:08:50 pm »

This is a cross post from the minecraft forums. I am also posting here because I am much more familiar with these boards (I come here all the time but I almost never go to the minecraft forums) and because there are some very computer savvy people here.
Long Version:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SHORT VERSION:
The things I want to learn are:

1. Could I change the .minecraft folder so that minecraft.exe will try to load from .minecraft but will instead be tricked into loading files from somewhere else? I assume that this would be accomplished by using some sort of link or redirect.
2. If so, what would I need to look into to be able to do this? Are junction points the right thing to be looking at? .lnk files? or do I need to be looking in a different direction?

PS: I have experience in C++ programming and some limited experience with working with .bat files. I have never worked with junction points or stuff like that before however I would very much like to learn.

PS is this the right place for this? If not, where should it go? Thanks
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:38:30 pm by celebrinborn »

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Computer programming question (tricking minecraft)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:32:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure junction points will allow a folder to act like a shortcut as it were (you can even have folders contain themselves and stuff), if that doesn't work, you could always mod minecraft.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:33 pm »

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/9814-portable-minecraft-minecraft-on-your-usb-key
^ That is what you need. Allows you to redirect the location it treats as the .minecraft folder's parent directory. Just create 2 directories (you could even put them on the desktop to avoid digging through AppData), and then you have 2 copies of minecraft, each with their own batch file you run to start up one of them.

It's really easy; can be set up in about a minute; and gives you a fully portable minecraft directory which can be copied and pasted anywhere without fear of contaminating the other minecraft directories on your machine.

I personally use it because our university computers have our AppData folder on the network drive, and so putting the folder on the local drive allows for much more smooth gameplay.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:39:46 pm by alway »

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:20:24 pm »

Thanks everyone