Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive migration of rangers?  (Read 1353 times)

Phlegminsky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Massive migration of rangers?
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:22:42 pm »

So I have this reoccurring strangeness in a recent world gen (first since the new patch of awesome :D) that's affecting my migrants. I've started 2 different fortresses on this same map, under the same civ, which have had entire waves of immigrants consisting almost entirely of rangers and hunters. On the 4th migrant wave of the first fortress (abandoned later due to unrelated reasons) 12/22 migrants came with 11 levels in 1-3 random ranger skills and 11 levels in the related combat skills like dodge, ambush, marksdwarf, etc. On the third wave of the second fortress 15/17 (!) migrants came with the same skill setup. Not only that but almost every other wave in both forts has included another high level ranger/hunter.

Now...I'm not complaining per say because it is *awfully* nice to be receiving all these free archers that can pew pew angry minotaurs stomping on my fortress but it is odd and I was wondering if anybody else has experienced something like this before and if so maybe knows whats causing it. It is with the same civ, in the same world, in consecutive fortresses, and I'm willing to bet I could repeat the same thing with another fortress down the road.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive migration of rangers?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:27:05 pm »

It is with the same civ, in the same world, in consecutive fortresses, and I'm willing to bet I could repeat the same thing with another fortress down the road.

Most likely. I bet if you look in the legends at that civ, it's a crazy ranger civ where everyone uses a crossbow;-)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Phlegminsky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:31:48 pm »

That's what I thought! But I'm not sure how you would be able to tell through the legends screen besides just going through all the dwarves....or why that would happen in the first place x___x

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 06:43:09 pm »

natural selection:

Ranged dwarves tend to kill their opponents without engaging them in face to face fights.

Melle dwarves tend to get killed off.

Although i have to say ive been getting a steady balance of both.. well, untill the joint necromancer towers i embarked near swarmed my map with zombles. My dwarves have been taking bets as to how long the goblin ambush squads can last when they show up.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:18:11 pm »

About 80% of migrants in this current fort have some sort of armor and weapon skills. 70% of said group are marksdwarves, while the other 30% are melee.

I don't have any objections. I got craptons of magnetite. And llamas. And enough smelters and butchers to service both supplies. I also got craptons of goblins.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:38:21 pm »

I'm fond of massed marksdwarves. They can dish out an immense barrage of bolts, enough to slay even megabeasts without trouble.

Then once the ammo is exhausted, they run out and club the crippled survivors to death with their crossbows.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:50:44 pm »

I'm fond of massed marksdwarves. They can dish out an immense barrage of bolts, enough to slay even megabeasts without trouble.

Then once the ammo is exhausted, they run out and club the crippled survivors for experience with their wooden/bone crossbows.
Fixed.

And look!  You have melee dwarves!

Phlegminsky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:00:05 pm »

Yea I didn't have much of an ammo industry set up so every long battle eventually turned into a dodge-bruise fest with puppy bone crossbows

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 08:59:00 pm »

I lol'd at 'Puppy Bone Crossbows'

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:07:23 pm »

Also having the same in my current fort.

Out of the 50-60 adult migrants in my fort, about half arrived as competent marksdwarves, and the rest are competent in some other military skill (many of the marksdwarves are competent in two weapons at once, like crossbow+spear or crossbow+mace). Only a small fraction of my migrants don't have military skills.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »

Dwarfs appear to like killing animals more now, and any wars also lead to an influx of military-grades migrants. Generally, killing things makes Dwarfs happy, and Dwarfs like being happy.