Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to farm plants that normally aren't farmable?  (Read 604 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
How to farm plants that normally aren't farmable?
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »

First, you must know, I only have very basic knowledge of modding in dwarf fortress, but I enjoy making new types of creatures for me to play with as well as new plants, which in turn make new brews. But, with the addition of new plants, that means I want my dwarves to grow them.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to add a new plant to be farmed, or where to go to do so. Fortunately, I know that many of you people do. The problem is not adding new plants, it's how to farm them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 05:17:05 pm by exolyx »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: How to farm plants that normally aren't farmable?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:51:39 pm »

If you've already got the plant done, it just needs these tags to be considered "farm-able":
[GROWDUR:x] -determines how long a plant takes to grow. 300 seems to be default.
[SEED:x:y:z:z:z:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED] -Allows the plant to drop seeds. x is the singular name, y is the plural, and z is the color of said seed.
[(season)] -determines when it can be grown. If you want it grown all year long, use all four seasons ([SUMMER][WINTER], etc.)
[BIOME:x] -Determines where the plant can be found and whether or not it can be used by dwarves. By default, underground plants can be used by dwarves (and that's only if the plant is in that cavern area, but that's another issue)

Do note that mountains do NOT allow above-ground plants to grow in their biome.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Re: How to farm plants that normally aren't farmable?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:25:11 pm »

Ah, it was the biome. Thanks for the info.