Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Becoming a Baron  (Read 1976 times)

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Becoming a Baron
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:41:59 am »

So this is 99% because I would like the option to tame exotic animals.
Maybe a sliver because I haven't had a baron before.

I have vast amounts of dwarf bucks, and exported wealth.
461,000 DB
26339 export

and this is my new fort, so thats nothing compared to what the old one accumulated.
But that damn liason still hasn't asked me about Barony. > : D

I searched around the forums, most of the questions and answers are related to silly noble stuff... (loved the bit where the baron was jealous of himself).

I've heard there was a few bugs related to what I want to do, maybe becoming a baron, or having a beast dude is impossible without raw editing this release?
If so, are their repercussions for turning the [exotic] tags on all animals to (exotic) like with the aquifers?
Thanks guys.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming a Baron
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:22:25 am »

Ah, Addict, I can't help with the tweaking the raws.

However, the dwarf to which you refer is the Dungeon Master. And he is not in the game, and hasn't been, since the .28.40 days, I believe...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:30:49 am »

Well, assuming the raws concerning exotic animals are unchanged, mostly, from DF2010.

Look into the certain animal's name in the raws that you'd want to tame. Replace [EXOTIC_PET] with [PET]. They can be tamed just like normal. Mostly, cage + kennel.

Barons do not tame, they govern. They are the upgrade of the Mayor. You need 50+ dwarves to get him/her.

And, Barons can be used in the military. Nobility shall fight for their right to rule!

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:08 am »

And, Barons can be used in the military. Nobility shall fight for their right to rule!

I drafted my count and it made him very unhappy. Even taking joy in slaughter didnīt really help with his mood. So I had to release him again and gave him some nice new furniture to avoid him going tantrum. I guess it depends on the personality, some guys get used to military drill quite fast and get lots of experience in a short time while others like to avoid the training whenever possible.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:56:53 pm »

Unhappy because he needed at least novice rank in any military skill, 'unhappy of the draft' or something along that line. A bit of training would help up. A Legendary communal dining hall would also help everyone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:50 pm »

I drafted my count and it made him very unhappy. Even taking joy in slaughter didnīt really help with his mood. So I had to release him again and gave him some nice new furniture to avoid him going tantrum. I guess it depends on the personality, some guys get used to military drill quite fast and get lots of experience in a short time while others like to avoid the training whenever possible.

Should've put him in a dedicated sparring squad with two partners, who would become his bodyguards, or superiors. On the battlefield all are equal.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:34:33 pm »

Yeah, I know that unskilled dwarves get unhappy about the draft until they acquire some basic skills. But he reacted quite extremely to the military training so I simply relieved him from his duties.

But this guy is a desaster. By now he is duke because my fortress is doing quite well and... it seems he became jealous of himself. He was elected to be the mayor, too. And as I understand it he is mad because a lesser noble (the mayor aka himself) has a great dining room and whatnot.

I already prepared a nice atom smasher for him. At the first second he starts pissing me off he will be burrowed there.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:36:14 pm »

You could try giving him a personal hall and quarters, a personal tomb would also delight him. You cannot get another Baron if that one dies.

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:51:25 pm »

Well, assuming the raws concerning exotic animals are unchanged, mostly, from DF2010.

Look into the certain animal's name in the raws that you'd want to tame. Replace [EXOTIC_PET] with [PET]. They can be tamed just like normal. Mostly, cage + kennel.

ah thanks!
I knew it was something like that. I hope he impliments it again, my favorite part currently is capturing beasts, and zooing/warbeasting them.

Should've put him in a dedicated sparring squad with two partners, who would become his bodyguards, or superiors. On the battlefield all are equal.

might as well ask this,
Is there a definite special way of making a "sparring" squad. All my dwarfs EVER do is individual training or observing/leading demonstrations. So I have them in very small squads, always less than 4.
If sparring isn't as good as indiv, than I guess it doesn't matter. But it sounds like it would be better.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »

might as well ask this,
Is there a definite special way of making a "sparring" squad. All my dwarfs EVER do is individual training or observing/leading demonstrations. So I have them in very small squads, always less than 4.
If sparring isn't as good as indiv, than I guess it doesn't matter. But it sounds like it would be better.
Change the schedule of those dwarves to train every month, the number of trainees being the number of current dwarves in the squad.

Frequently, to see squads spar, the minimum unit amount is two, while the maximum is three. This only pertains to frequent sparring squads. A ten-man squad could spar just as much as a three/two man one would, but useless demonstrations would be higher and the time spent would be wasted.

Next, make sure every dwarf has a weapon in hand and not in any 'Miner', 'Woodcutter' or 'Hunter' uniform. Make sure that the squad also has a barracks (from an armor/weapon stand) that was marked to 'T'raining.

Then, make sure that the squad is Active in their duty. If done right, they will shift to Military-named jobs. Also make sure that the squad does consist of that Noble and two or one other dwarf.