Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where oh where are the undead? - Help please!  (Read 939 times)

Kellnaved

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where oh where are the undead? - Help please!
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:41:55 pm »

Grüße from Austria!

I played DF a long time ago and with 2012 came back to this great game. Seeking a challenge I embarked several times on terrifying biomes only to find out that not a single time any undead would show up (I played one fort for 10 years). Am I just unlucky? I heard horror stories about butchered animals comming back to live .. errr at least parts of them and thought: "What fun!" Are there any specifics that are needed for undead terror from day 1?

I would be very happy if anyone could give me some tipps how create a world with as many undead as possible (as to see them in Dwarf Fortress mode).

Thx in advance.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where oh where are the undead? - Help please!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 01:49:28 pm »

Not all Evil biomes have undead. Some just have Evil creatures. If you've been embarking on the same terrifying biome every time and it's one that doesn't have the walking dead, you won't get undead the second time you embark in the same general area.

You might try generating a new world and finding another place. You should get corpse creatures coming eventually; it seems to be around a 50/50 chance of any given Evil biome being an undead biome. Alternatively, look for towers (a purple I on the region map) and embark within 10 region tiles of one or more. Towers hold necromancers, who will sometimes come in ambushes and sieges and animate any suitable bodies that they get close enough to.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kellnaved

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »

Ah thx for the information on the necromancer towers (btw if "tower" is not listed  as a civ does that mean no necromancer exists in a generated world?). Considering that I have embarked about 8-9 times in 4-5 different worlds always on terrifying biomes I had hoped to find the undead easier ... I always get all kind of men ... lousman, wolfman, motman etc.

Also I edited aquifiers mostly out of the raws and changed a few little things .. like longswords for dwarfes, lifespan of 450- 700 years an Giant Mosquitos out for FPS reasons ... might this have an influence? I wouldn´t think so ...
Thx again.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:07:30 pm »

Ah thx for the information on the necromancer towers (btw if "tower" is not listed  as a civ does that mean no necromancer exists in a generated world?).
No, that just means that your embark isn't within 10 region tiles of a tower. Necromancers only attack settlements that are fairly close to their lair, unlike civilizations which can approach any settlement at any distance. If you embark within 10 region tiles of more than one tower, more than one tower will be listed on the neighbors and you'll get attacked by necromancers more often. Multiple towers being nearby each other is fairly uncommon, though I did see a screenshot of a place with 7 in a circle...

Considering that I have embarked about 8-9 times in 4-5 different worlds always on terrifying biomes I had hoped to find the undead easier ... I always get all kind of men ... lousman, wolfman, motman etc.
That's odd, then... It's pretty improbable that you wouldn't find any undead in any of those.

Also I edited aquifiers mostly out of the raws and changed a few little things .. like longswords for dwarfes, lifespan of 450- 700 years an Giant Mosquitos out for FPS reasons ... might this have an influence? I wouldn´t think so ...
Thx again.
Probably not. Evil-biome undead seem to be hardcoded, so nothing you mod should do away with them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!