Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Babies and Pigtails  (Read 658 times)

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Babies and Pigtails
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:12:48 pm »

Hi, all. I'm fairly new to Dwarf Fortress, just started a couple months ago (after hearing about it for a year or two.) Switched to the newest version(s) as they came out the past several weeks. I've gotten the hang of the basics, but haven't figured out everything, so I have two questions, which I've combined in one post because a superficial search of the forums suggests that maybe there's no solution to one of the problems.

Problem #1: I have a dehydrated baby in a fort of 160 dwarves, about fifty of whom are idle. The baby's been fed recently, but no one is offering water (or booze... do babies drink booze?) Father's still alive, but the mother was killed by a vamp, and it looks like in the past, if the mother dies, the baby will die, because no one will take care of it. Is this still true?

Problem #2: I only recently figured out how to get the pigtails and rope reed processed into thread (used to be constantly short of bags, now I typically have so much thread I run out of places to put it...) What I'm doing is frequently checking z -> stocks -> plants to see if any process-able plants are present, then queuing Process Plant (repeat) at the farmer's workshop. This seems a little micro-manage-y, though. Is there a better way? I know you can't just leave it on repeat, since it will cancel when you run out of pigtails and rope reeds, so you have to keep checking.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Babies and Pigtails
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:17:14 pm »

Unless you are using all that thread and cloth continually, just make a huge batch every once in a whilw when you run low. Turn off pigtail seed planting at farms when your cloth stocks are overflowing.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:54 pm »

Hi, all. I'm fairly new to Dwarf Fortress, just started a couple months ago (after hearing about it for a year or two.) Switched to the newest version(s) as they came out the past several weeks. I've gotten the hang of the basics, but haven't figured out everything, so I have two questions, which I've combined in one post because a superficial search of the forums suggests that maybe there's no solution to one of the problems.

Problem #1: I have a dehydrated baby in a fort of 160 dwarves, about fifty of whom are idle. The baby's been fed recently, but no one is offering water (or booze... do babies drink booze?) Father's still alive, but the mother was killed by a vamp, and it looks like in the past, if the mother dies, the baby will die, because no one will take care of it. Is this still true?

Problem #2: I only recently figured out how to get the pigtails and rope reed processed into thread (used to be constantly short of bags, now I typically have so much thread I run out of places to put it...) What I'm doing is frequently checking z -> stocks -> plants to see if any process-able plants are present, then queuing Process Plant (repeat) at the farmer's workshop. This seems a little micro-manage-y, though. Is there a better way? I know you can't just leave it on repeat, since it will cancel when you run out of pigtails and rope reeds, so you have to keep checking.

#1, yeah I believe all abandoned babies die. In the six or so months I have played DF I have never seen anyone take car of a baby whoose mother has died.

#2 I don't think so, you could always wait longer so you have to que up the job less often though. Maybe use the manager and que up like 150 proccess plant jobs, but I think if no plant is around those just get canceled too :(.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:24 pm »

I didn't even think Process Plant was in the manager. I'll check... if it is, most other jobs don't cancel from the manager's queue even when there are supplies missing, so maybe that will work.

Otherwise, I suppose I can just turn on brewing for pigtails/rope reeds part of the time, but it's still a bit too much micro-management for my tastes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:23:11 pm »

1. The baby is doomed
2. Use the job manager. Or just wait till you have a large amount of pig tails ready to be processed, otherwise not a lot :/