Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Euclidian Architecture  (Read 2561 times)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Euclidian Architecture
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Donkringel:
<STRONG>If your mining, just designate everything in advance (after mapping out your requirements) but keep a thin sliver of rock to keep your miners from working on unneeded areas.</STRONG>

That's what I do, sometimes, but I'm always afraid that it will generate unnecessary CPU load, because all miners are constantly checking if they can go mine there. Not sure if my fear is reasonable, though...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

My preferred solution at most forts is a temporary work camp.  The founders set up the camp, and only when the main fortress is habitable do the dwarves move into it.  This often takes between two and five years.

Work camp design specifics vary, but they always:
* Avoid tearing up the landscape too much.
* Place crops, food-preparation, the dining hall, and a critical industry or two in close proximity.
* Pay some attention to defense against minor threats.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 08:46:00 am »

I always go for a central 3 by 3 staircase with the middle stairs replaced by grates to allow water pour through. Every floor is a square (except for maybe the bedroom-level and the catacomb-level if I start too close to the edge) and has eight doors leading to the staircase. On ground level, there is the Trade Depot and above ground farming. On z-1, I have the farms/livestock. Z-2 is for the workshops, and right underneath them are the main stockpiles. On z-4 I have a large well-/fishing-room with pools/bathroom on every side (you never know when you accidentally flood your fortress, plus I want a legendary everything) Underneath that is an enormous reservoir that taps into my moat, supplied by a brook. Then you'll find the dining rooms, for the common folk and noblemen alike. Then the offices, and underneath them there are the bedrooms located. Fully smoothed and engraved for the nobles, rough for the commoners. Underneath, the catacombs. Fully smoothed for all. And a level below is where the seats for the (round!) arena are allocated. And underneath, obviously, the arena itself. This will be  a perfect example of dwarven ingenuity. Maybe I'll load up a map of it. Then we have the main animal stockpile to provide quick access to the arena. What will come underneath that, I have no idea yet, but on the lowest level, I'll have the reservoir for the water that fell all the way down. From there it will be pumped back up to the highest top of the map, from where it will make my dwarves happy again by flowing all the way down.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

RetSpline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Baney:
code:

......XXXXXXX......
......X-----X......
..XXXXX-----XXXXX..
..X---D-----D---X..
..X---X-----X---X..
..X---X-----X---X..
XXXDXXXXXDXXXXXDXXX
X-----X-----X-----X
X-----X-----X-----X
X-----D-----D-----X
X-----X-----X-----X
X-----X-----X-----X
XXXDXXXXXDXXXXXDXXX
..X---X-----X---X..
..X---X-----X---X..
..X---D-----D---X..
..XXXXX-----XXXXX..
......X-----X......
......XXXXXXX......

[/QB]

How well does that work for noise spread? I guess if you specified one side (say, the left side) for bedrooms, and the other (right side) for workshops, it would fine.

I'm so obsessed with finding a workable design that I like that I've rarely gotten past the first summer before making a new fortress, and what I've been using recently is a modular design composed of alternating 5x5 and 7x7 rooms, with 3-wide halls in between. I place farms and workshops in the 5x5 squares, and stockpiles in the 7x7.

Also, the 7x7 and 5x5 rooms alternate between Z-layers, so from a side view it would look like:

code:

#.......#
##.....##
#.......#

Below and above each workshop are stockpiles of the appropriate type.

It's not a perfect design, but (I think) it looks good, and works.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

Inspired by Roarsilver, I'm working on a circular design. I'll be sure to post pics once I get it all planned out. So far I have plans (in MSPaint) for a workshop level, storage level, nobles level, and dining level (which was improved once I got to actually designating it), and I have a Barracks/archery range level designated (pretty much designed on the fly) which I need to transfer to MSPaint. I'm having trouble coming up with an apartment level, however, and I still need to design others, such as the farming level and a burial level. There's also going to be a central 3x3 stairway with a waterfall down the center.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside
Pages: 1 [2]