Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves refuse to harvest honeycombs/royal jelly [SOLVED]  (Read 2386 times)

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarves refuse to harvest honeycombs/royal jelly [SOLVED]
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:14:54 pm »

So I've got some beehives sitting around outside waiting to be harvested. They all contain royal jelly and honeycomb already, and have been filled for several months (at least 6 or 7). I've marked two to save up for splitting (ie don't gather the goods yet), and the other six should be gathered. But my beekeeper is not doing anything.

I've assigned only one beekeeper to avoid any issues of multiple beekeepers (as i read on the wiki). But the lazy dwarf still isn't doing anything. All the goods remain inside the hive, marked with a B symbol in dark blue (same as the hive of bees itself). What's going on, what am I doing wrong and are there any suggestions to fix it?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:10:01 pm by telamon »
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves refuse to harvest honeycombs/royal jelly
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:13 pm »

Do you have jugs available?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:56 pm »

Do you have jugs available?

This. Make a craftsdwarf's workshop and begin cranking out rock jugs :P

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:23:12 am »

If you have fireclay, it makes liquid holding jugs. Other jugs made from different clay, as well pots, require glazing. Which adds more jobs to keep your runts busy.
 Cooking honey is about as big a pain as cooking dwarf syrup. You have to micromanage a kitchen.:)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:55 am »

I do have a few jugs... they're made out of stone though from my grand master stonecraftsdwarf. they won't hold liquid, will they? I'd better get to glazing those. where on the stocks menu will I find empty jugs?

EDIT: nvm... for some reason they just started collecting. I could have sworn I had jugs! Did I forget to make them or something? >_>

side note on another strange problem: some human merchants paid me a visit and shot down a peregrine falcon that was harassing their wagon. I have the corpse in a stockpile next to my butcher's workshop (literally right next to it; both the workshop and corpse are aboveground) but my lazy dwarves won't butcher it. The corpse is not rotten and i've cleaned off the falcon's blood with DFHack. What's going on here? Am I not allowed to butcher a corpse I didn't personally corpse-ify?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:40:05 am by telamon »
At 55 frames per minute.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 03:28:44 am »

Perhaps they do not have the order on to gather refuse from outside. Some humans managed to kill a whale on their visit to my fort once. Much to my dismay, it was butchered,tanned, and rendered. Hernias all around.:( It should be similar to when you give a kill order for a military squad. Once it is killed, if gather refuse from outside is on, they return it to the refuse area, then it will get butchered.) Avoid whales, please.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:44:15 am »

The Falcon may be too small to butcher, and stone jugs made in the craftsdwarf's workshop can hold liquids without glazing

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:08:54 am »

Avoid whales, please.
No no no, butcher those suckers. Just make sure you micromanage the process by building a butchery next to the corpse and making sure it's that butchery which gets the 'butcher dead animal' job.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:42 pm »

Yeah I suspect the falcon is too small to butcher. I got a random capuchin attack and my dwarves did cut those up after my war unicorn ripped them all apart (traded it from the elves a few months before 8D), so i guess it was just a thing of circumstance. Thanks guys!
At 55 frames per minute.