Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water pressure and my dam  (Read 1542 times)

Analfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water pressure and my dam
« on: May 18, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

I was just inspired to build a huge dam by the fort waterwall. I've got the reservoir dug out, dam build, and almost everything ready to go. To better show you I've uploaded my map here GearWall Dam

I have ran into a problem though with water pressure. I did a test run where I filled up the reservoir all nice a full and I released the flood gates. All the water from the reservoir flew out extremely fast, flooded the middle of the dam and left the reservoir at one level high. My problem with this is I want to be able to keep the reservoir topped off and somehow control the flow of water leaving the dam.

I also tried out pumps to regulate the flow without having to deal with water pressure but I found that they suck up water faster than my river can replenish it. I was hoping that someone has some alternative ideas they could throw my way.

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Analfish ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Water pressure and my dam
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

Simple, really.  Just make a tiered design, rather than one floodgate at the bottom.  Each tier flows down onto the next one, and the top tier starts at either the top level of the reservoir or the next level down.

Or, skip the tiers and just make the opening at the top for a nice waterfall.

Or or, build a section down at the bottom right outside your floodgates that measures out a specific amount of water.  Switch between filling the chamber and opening it up to the outside.  This allows for a greater deal of control over the water flow, but can be rather tedious and cannot be set to "auto-annihilate" like the other designs.

Analfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

I like your third idea quite a bit, might I be able to automate it with pressure plates?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

I suppose...  I haven't worked much with pressure plates, but try this:
code:

==============
.......^X^...X~~
.......^X^...X~~
.......^X^...X~~
==============

Diagram not to scale/design.

Using a lever, you open the floodgates to the far right.  Water rushes in and pushes down on the pressure plates, which are set to activate the left wall of floodgates.  The left wall of floodgates opens up, and water pours out.  The pressure plates which are set to activate the right-most wall of floodgates when dry will now "deactivate", thus sending a signal to the right-most wall of gates to close.

Mind you, I haven't even seen the pressure plate menu yet.  I have no idea if this is possible.  Also note that unless you put in a third row of floodgates commanded only by lever, you will not be able to stop the flow.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

you can set pressure plates for water depth triggers, anywhere from 1 to 7.

having multiple floodgates controlled from a series of level would work best, unless you want an automated flow. if you have a 3-level reservoir, openeing only the bottom gate give you just one level of water, with 2 more stored. less pressure, and a reserve still available. downside is you need to floor each level of reservoir.

Analfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

I fixed the problem by making tubes that start at the first level of the lake and let it flow out the bottom. That way my lake stays topped off and I get the power I wanted. Thanks for your help guys.