Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding help  (Read 687 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Modding help
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:15 pm »

I wanted to make more weapons dwarfable (long sword), but I don't know how, can any of you experienced modders help me out?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding help
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:40 pm »

Wrong sub-forum, but it's an easy question: go look in entity_defaults.txt
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:05 pm »

Stuff regarding modding should generally go in the modding subforum, FYI.

Anyway, adding more weapons to the dwarves is as simple as adding them to the dwarven entity. In your dwarf fortress folder/raw/objects you'll find a lot of text files; the relevant one is entity_default.txt. There, at the top, you'll see a line that says [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]. The lines below this define the dwarf entity. You'll see lines that say [WEAPON:blah]; the blah in this case is weapon ID names from the item_weapon.txt file. To add more weapons to the dwarves, just add additional [WEAPON:blah] lines for each additional weapon you want the dwarves to have access to.

Note that this, and most other changes to the entity files, will require you to generate a new world to take effect.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:45:30 pm »

Sorry about posting in the wrong sub-forum, and thanks for the help.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 07:55:05 pm »

Though some weapons can be too large for dwarves to use. This can be changed in the item_weapon file. The tags that might need changing are [TWO_HANDED:#] and [MINIMUM_SIZE:#]. The first means any creature under that size has to use two hands to wield it. The second means any creature under that size can't use it at all. Dwarves average around 60000 fully grown.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.