Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A crazy idea I had  (Read 1033 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
A crazy idea I had
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:14:59 am »

The other day on TV Tropes, I was reading about Team Fortress 2. This lead to a weird train of thought that ended with a mod idea. (The first idea for a name that came into my head was Dwarf Fortress 2, but that took about half a second for me to realize that it would be rather nondescriptive.) So, then:

1. Do you think a Team Fortress 2 mod would be a good/interesting idea?
2. If so, what would a good name for it be?
3. What would need to be done to make it a "good" mod, with interesting gameplay and stuff? This isn't even a half-baked idea, I've only just started gathering the ingredients.
4. How the heck would I do it?
5. Any other suggestions?
6. Any other kinds of comments that you have would be appreciated.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A crazy idea I had
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:52:44 pm »

1.There was source fortress mod or something like that in .31 times but it didn't last really long.
4. Well, obviously you need to become an adept modder at least  :P
everything else: just look what we've already got here. Some mods simply add like a dozen of renamed plump helmets, some add new castes and intricate reactions, some even remove many functionally identical objects from game. Choose your way.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »

In general "No." there's enough TF2 in EVERYTHING that I really don't want to see it in a fortress.  Valve has been riding that pretty hard, and there's a ton of references to TF2 about anywhere you'd care to look.

That said, it's your thing.  You wanna make it go ahead, but I'm not partaking.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 02:14:59 pm »

You could rename the various dwarven soldier professions to line up with the jobs in TF2 (crossbowdwarf=sniper for example), change the medieval weapons to TF2 weapons, make the main playable race human instead of dwarf, add a simular (but slightly differant to increase chance of war) human race as an opponent and find ways to have them always at war, and your quite a ways into this mod.

I don't really see the point of this though, although it might be fun to see your fortress assaulted by TF2 characters. I'll also won't be helping.

PS: to really annoy people, try to add the sounds of the characters into the game.
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:51:40 pm »

Hmm... I assume grenade launching would have to be an intrinsic ability of the Demoman caste, but fireimp balls would be close, and you coulp probably make webs that evaporate at body temperature into blistering gas for sticky traps...

Hey, splash weapons DO work!

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:16:37 am »

Meh, it's just a hat sim, just add a thousand or so new hats and you're done!
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom