Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quest vampires...  (Read 4437 times)

AngelXDv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quest vampires...
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:15:37 am »

I am trying to find a kill a vampire quest type vampire.This lead me to a city.But in the city where is it?Please help!

AngelXDv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest vampires...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:32:37 am »

Noone?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:00 am »

Look for a flashing person. Check their inventory by pressing l (That's a lower case L, not an upper case i"
If they have items made from dwarves, humans, and elves, accuse him and kill him.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:33 am »

Try looking for him in the keep, or in a temple.

AngelXDv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:18:22 pm »

Found her,kiilled her! :P

Malkenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:11 pm »

so when it does the vampire in the city it doesnt mean that theyre in the task area? like when it says go NE or whatever? or is that little area still where i should look around to accuse?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »

so when it does the vampire in the city it doesnt mean that theyre in the task area? like when it says go NE or whatever? or is that little area still where i should look around to accuse?

The direction indicator usually points you to the center of the city, IIRC. All vampires I found in cities were nobles in the keep.

Vampires in hamlets hide in houses like every villager, but blink, too. If you can't find the vampire in a hamlet, you can ask random villagers and sometimes they give you the quest to kill the vampire and tell you in which direction to look. Unfortunately, this doesn't update your direction indicator. So a peasant might tell you to look for the vampire in a hut to the south, but the direction thingie will still point to NE if the village center is there.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

AngelXDv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 02:32:26 pm »

Found her in da' keep!

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:57:00 pm »

One rather easy way of locating night creatures seems to be wandering around town at night. They'll be the ones not sleeping.

Just recruited a vampire with something like six thousand kills for my adventuring party. He had over 200 pages of jewelry from goblin hair crowns to human nail rings. (that is over 200 because at that point I stopped counting them, not because they ended soon after) He may come in handy.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Justiceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:47:11 pm »

Thanks for the tips on how to identify these guys.  I found mine just moving about in a village.  I hadn't noticed the blinking thing.  This vamp had dozens of pages of stuff made from humans and from a few dwarves.  Incidentally ... with a previous adventurer I freed two goblins from an empty keep where they were being held.  One of them was injured in a later fight and dropped eight crap-tons of jewelry made from humans/elves/dwarves.  Was that goblin a vampire too?  Or did he just collect too much bling? :)
If you have okay wrestling, you can stab someone in the lower body, making their guts pop out. If you then wrestle and pinch the guts, you can sever them. By then, the guy's probably unconscious. If he's not, strangle him until he is and cave in his skull with the guts.

No, really.

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:29:58 pm »

Another way of finding quest vampires in towns, is asking for service from local peasants and the like. They'll give you directions.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27:31 am »

Folks in this version tend to take trophies from their kills, whether or not they're vampires.  Sometimes in fortress mode you get immigrant hunters wearing massive piles of jewelry from their animal kills (or animal-man kills, but I mod ethics...).  Vampires rack up massive sentient kill lists, so if the guy down the street claims to be a humble farmer, but has 200 human tooth rings- kind of a tell.  But the gobbo could've just been a badass manslayer before being locked in the keep.