Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I dam a river?  (Read 2323 times)

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I dam a river?
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:03:48 pm »

I would like to dam a river temporarily while i set up floodgates, so i can turn the waterfall on and off. (Gotta save the occasional useful dwarf from the fall). Is there anyway to do this? Preferably without pumps as i find them rather difficult to use. I was thinking of dropping stones in to block it. Also, would the river overflow when blocked?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:18:18 pm by Twangykid »

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to dam a river?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:18:09 pm »

Can't do it with controlled cave-in-- constructed walls will just deconstruct, rather than make new walls.  You can do it with freezing, if your map allows.

Otherwise, pumps.  Sorry.  Gotta figure them out sometime anyhow.

EDIT: Or, one other option.  Build an alternate channel that you can block off, that runs offscreen, maybe through the caverns, maybe through fortifications, and when it's ready, divert the river through that.  That gives you enough breathing room to build a dam.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:19:45 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:21:15 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Dam

That explains a lot of ways. And don't be afraid of pumps, they're actually not so bad once you get to knowing them.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:17:11 pm »

WELP. Both my miners walked into the waterfall, along with my only picks and legendary engraver. The entire river was restricted and their was a perfectly safe tunnel under the waterfall, but nope, they have to walk off. This was early in the world as well, so no making more picks, time to abandon-reclaim. :L is there anyway to force them to NOT walk through it? I know the mist is pretty and all, but if you complain one more time that you are hurt, and my engraver takes it upon himself to rescue your sorry asses, i am taking away the booze stockpile. Forever.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 07:51:37 pm »

WELP. Both my miners walked into the waterfall, along with my only picks and legendary engraver. The entire river was restricted and their was a perfectly safe tunnel under the waterfall, but nope, they have to walk off. This was early in the world as well, so no making more picks, time to abandon-reclaim. :L is there anyway to force them to NOT walk through it? I know the mist is pretty and all, but if you complain one more time that you are hurt, and my engraver takes it upon himself to rescue your sorry asses, i am taking away the booze stockpile. Forever.
You say you had a tunnel, and had marked the falls as restricted.  Did you mark the tunnel as a high traffic area?  Was the tunnel far away from the falls?  Normal tiles have a value of 2 for pathfinding.  High traffic is 1, restricted is, iirc, 25.  Which path a dwarf takes is the one with the lower total value.  Sometimes restricted tiles isn't enough because the "good" path is still a higher value (thus it is considered less desirable).  Also, if they had picked the path before you marked the falls as restricted they won't repath when you mark them.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:57:57 pm »

You say you had a tunnel, and had marked the falls as restricted.  Did you mark the tunnel as a high traffic area?  Was the tunnel far away from the falls?  Normal tiles have a value of 2 for pathfinding.  High traffic is 1, restricted is, iirc, 25.  Which path a dwarf takes is the one with the lower total value.  Sometimes restricted tiles isn't enough because the "good" path is still a higher value (thus it is considered less desirable).  Also, if they had picked the path before you marked the falls as restricted they won't repath when you mark them.

This. If your waterfall is, say, 3 restricted tiles wide, that costs 75 pathfinding points to cross. If it takes 38 normal tiles to reach the same spot, they take the restricted path. Set the desired to high traffic, and you would need 76 tiles to make it less desirable.

Also, wall off the end off the falls, the low water tricks them into thinking it's safe.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How can I dam a river?
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 10:46:21 pm »

(Didn't read the whole thread.)
My preferred method is to divert, actually.  Down.  Dig under the river, towards the map's edge.  Just a short spurt, or longer if you want to install water wheels.  Then go down to the the stone layer and dig to the map's edge.  Once that's done, smooth the edge all and carve fortifications.  Now, water will drain off the map!  I usually make my drainage tunnel 2 deep for safety, and place a paved road inside to prevent trees.

Once you have the drainage set up, build a scaffolding above the river and cave it in.  If done right, you'll punch a hole through the river bottom, the constructed walls will disappear, and the river will divert underground.  Now place cage traps all along the dry riverbed, and shut the floodgates.  You did instal floodgates in the tunnel to block flow, right?  Once the gates are closed, the river will resume as usual, with a small area underneath containing water up to the floodgates.

Works very well, reusable in case you want to divert again, and can selectively power your waterwheels in the drainage tunnels if you're into that sort of thing.  Additionally, if you've got an underground fort, you can divert the river through your dining hall, utilizing pressure equalizers, to have mist generators while the river is diverted.  Or if you fail to use equalizers, drowning chambers!  Both will affect civilian morale!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:43:49 am »

Future-past reply to rtg593: I'll try that!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:30:52 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:58:05 am »

Using pumps to dam a river isn't really that difficult, and is the most easily torn down once you don't need them anymore.

You could also loop a channel out around the pump area and back in, that would eliminate the 2 gears and save 11 power by placing the water wheel beside the pump one axel out. The extra water flow won't cause job cancellations, and you can place a floodgates before the waterwheel, and link it to your dams gates, and still have a fully functional floodgates dam. Just built with more efficient power use:p can do a 8 tile wide river with that set up.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 03:25:09 am »

Proper @rtg593: I'll try doing that.

Anyone have tips for where to divert the excess water, since it's just piling up on the 7-deep water it's being pumped on to and causing unexpected ‼fun‼? I'm thinking putting this contraption near the edge of the map and using bridges to keep it contained until it flows off the map... also a lever. That would require the river to be straight enough there to build it...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 03:45:13 am »

Anyone have tips for where to divert the excess water, since it's just piling up on the 7-deep water it's being pumped on to and causing unexpected ‼fun‼? I'm thinking putting this contraption near the edge of the map and using bridges to keep it contained until it flows off the map... also a lever. That would require the river to be straight enough there to build it...

If you want to be cheap, you can use a large drawbridge or a lot of floodgates/doors to destroy the water entirely (when hooked up to a repeating lever).

Digging down to the caverns and dumping the water there also works. It will eventually make its way off the edge of the cavern (or make a few new lakes).

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 04:20:09 am »

If you want to be cheap, you can use a large drawbridge or a lot of floodgates/doors to destroy the water entirely (when hooked up to a repeating lever).

Digging down to the caverns and dumping the water there also works. It will eventually make its way off the edge of the cavern (or make a few new lakes).

I think I'll try the atomsmashing way next time.

This time, I made this thing:

As you can hopefully tell, that's most the river drained to 1 and 2 deep. Come to think I don't actually need that third bridge because there's a solid line of impassable tiles made by the waterwheel and the pumps, but m'eh. This setup would drain almost the whole river, because the left side is right up against the map. It is... also kind of silly. I'm going to keep it in my file of things I could use, though, because you never know when you'll want to drain the river.

Warning: this is a picture of the river at 1s and 2s because this is a partial of the last frame from this particular fort. Near the end of late Spring DF puked up an error message and had to close.