Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal Poor Fort  (Read 1017 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metal Poor Fort
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:05 pm »

I ran DFProspect way too late after I set up my latest fort, and realized I've only got a tiny smattering of tetrahedrite and a dash of aluminum.  I'll keep building it up for a good while; trading and melting goblinite for metal, but without a thriving metal industry I feel rather naked.

What do you do with metal poor forts?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Poor Fort
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:11:24 pm »

Leather, bone, glass, wool, BEES! and cloth.

Pretty much.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:12:19 pm »

Well, it's certainly a challenge! You can always armor up your dwarves with bone and leather, which will train their armor user if nothing else :P

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:15:04 pm »

well, the aluminum will boost your wealth a little. you just gotta dig it all out. honestly, ive never seen much aluminum in my time playing, it doesn't seem to occur in veins, just little pockets.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:16:13 pm »

It's about 29 instances of aluminum.  So I could make a few chairs... =/

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »

Crack open the delicious caramel centre of the world and use it to melt stuff. Any stuff. *Steel amulet*? If you can afford it and have nothing else to buy, why not? You don't need any fuel for it. If you're lucky your civ has access to tin and copper as well as iron, and then you can make bronze and possibly bismuth bronze.

Dwarves who are godly-skilled don't need armour so much because between the parry, block, and dodge skills, nothing ever gets through. But up until then you're going to need either a steady stream of volunteers or marksdwarves who can be deployed so that they aren't ever in firing range of elites.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »

I had a fort that had nothing but a little gold, and that was only adjoining the Special Metal and surrounded by magma.  There was no sand.  I bought sand from every caravan and made green glass bits for my weapon traps.  I kept no military at all.  What was the point, with no metal?  I was going to make a squad of archers using wooden bolts, but the archery targets weren't working at the time.

Isn't DFHack great?  I love being able to get some idea what is there even before I embark.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:07:27 pm »

Yeah my military is armed with dog bone bolts for the time being...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »

I've run a number of forts that I specifically embark in areas with no metals.

First off, dig down to magma and set up a magma smelter and set it to melt objects on repeat. Set up a stockpile nearby that takes all the iron weapons/armor/tools/etc and anything steel except weapons and armor. Maybe also bronze tools etc.

Buy every scrap of iron or steel you can from the caravans and mark it all for melting (except the steel armor and weapons).  Buy bronze stuff at first as well. Heck you might even want to buy wooden armor from the first elven caravan, it's better than nothing.

Set up traps to kill invaders and melt anything they have that isn't immediately useful. a goblin snatcher's copper dagger is more useful melted down and turned into a copper helmet.

Between what you can buy from the caravans and what the goblins will bring you, it doesn't take long to equip your troops.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:01:24 pm »

Goblinite.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:06:26 pm »

Buy anything metal that a trader offers and melt it down.  You can make crossbows, spiked balls, corkscrews and spikes out of wood.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 07:08:44 pm »

Train a gemcrafter on rocks.  Dig out big chunks of layer stone and have them done into cut gems.  Farmland can also produce cloth crafts at a high rate.  Dyed cloth crafts studded with stone and menacing with spikes of green glass.  Renewable high-value goods.