Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low immigration  (Read 1180 times)

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Low immigration
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

I've been running my new fortress (Bridgesizzles) for about 2 years now, and I've only got 10 dwarves. Only one has died, and in an ambush.

I normally don't really pay attention to time and stuff, but it's starting to get to me that I don't have hoards of immigrants coming in to haul stuff for me. I've got my dwarves all performing two major jobs.

They're all freakin' ecstatic though, love their rooms and beds and the doors (and of course, the legendary dining room with clear glass tables and thrones), and heck, most of them (the original crew) are all good friends of each other, and there's at least a couple pairs of lovers.

I think I tried a "Smaller" world map this time. And I'm in an evil forest with a magma vent.

What could cause low immigration rates? I think I've had 1 immigrant twice and two immigrants once. (Yup, 11 dwarves minus one unfortunate ambushee.)

Just bad luck on die rolls? Maybe next time I'll get a big pile of dwarves rolling in.

And then they'll be attacked by a herd of skeletal deer.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Low immigration
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

Same problem.  I've tried large maps and small maps.  I've tried normal pop cap (200) and small pop cap (40).  Next time I start a new fort, I'll be testing the baby/child cap as well.  I changed a bunch of these things about a week ago from their default, and I've been having immigration problems ever since.  I had already been using 38c for a week or so, with no problems, so it wasn't a change in version, or at least that's what my memory tells me.  So I'm trying to figure out the actual problem through the process of elimination.  No luck so far.

Wawotsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:01:00 am »

All I know: immigrants depend on your exported wealth. Try to sell some valuable prepared food stacks to the merchants, just something you produced on site. Those narrow or small stuff does not count against export figures.
abbling Fortress Coordinator

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 05:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Exponent:
<STRONG>Same problem.  I've tried large maps and small maps.  I've tried normal pop cap (200) and small pop cap (40).  Next time I start a new fort, I'll be testing the baby/child cap as well.  I changed a bunch of these things about a week ago from their default, and I've been having immigration problems ever since.  I had already been using 38c for a week or so, with no problems, so it wasn't a change in version, or at least that's what my memory tells me.  So I'm trying to figure out the actual problem through the process of elimination.  No luck so far.</STRONG>

Oh yeah, I messed with the birth rate too. :P Maybe it indirectly messed with the immigration rate... That's probably it.

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »

I honestly don't know if this is related, but when i have massive amounts of food and low death rates, I tend to get more immigrants.  Their happiness doesn't seem to matter.  I haven't really seen wealth affect it, but it does affect the number of goods that the traders bring.
ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

The 'evil' thing might actually be related, but I'm not sure.  Or maybe only savage tends to keep normal towns from forming there?  Something to research in any case for a possible impact on immigrants.

But there *IS* (or was?) a known bug where the baby cap affects the all-dwarves cap as well.  At least, someone setting it to 0 was getting no immigrants and it was acknowledged as a bug.  Try setting that back to default.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!