Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ensuring health care  (Read 1138 times)

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ensuring health care
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

Why is it that dwarves with Health Care enabled would still sooner display 'No Job' than 'Give Food'? How can I make sure that the engraver with the mangled leg doesn't starve to death?
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ensuring health care
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:07:00 pm »

(a) If the engraver is at "no job" rather than "rest", you should dismantle his bed.  The reason: he passed out, which interrupts rest, and rest only restarts when he *goes* to his bed, rather than when he *is* on his bed.  Just rebuild the bed in the next tile over.  Be ready to do this over and over and over again, until that leg is no longer mangled.

(b) Build buckets.  That sometimes does something.  Maybe.

(c) Make sure the food pile, the bed he's resting on, and the nurse, are all close to each other.  A canceled "give food" job (when the nurse decides to go off for a drink) doesn't seem to come back until much later, so making sure it's very quick to give food reduces the probability of hitting this problem.

(d) Rumors say that drafting a civilian, or deactivating a military dwarf, will restart health care.  I've never noticed this myself.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

Thanks. That's uh...

Why doesn't he just go back to his own bed?

Also he's probably a goner but it's good to know for next time.

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Benitosimies:
<STRONG>Thanks. That's uh...</STRONG>

buggy.

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

They need buckets, free hauling dwarves, and a nearby well.  That being said, some will never leave and never show up as resting.  In those cases I just lock them in their tiny room and start building a jewel encursted coffin.
ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Benitosimies:
<STRONG>How can I make sure that the engraver with the mangled leg doesn't starve to death?</STRONG>

You could lock him in a room with an angry hoary marmot before he has a chance to starve...

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object