Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Individual weapon training  (Read 1953 times)

AKAnotu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Individual weapon training
« on: May 17, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

I'm pretty new to dwarf fortress, and so I have a simple question.

I have a small, 30 dwarf fortress with around 5 people in the military. I forged some iron weapons for them, which they don't seem to always use for sparring. I'm not complaining, wrestling helps them in so many ways, but if I have a guy with grand master wrestling and sword using, I'd prefer he went with swords. Is there a way to get him to only spar with a certain weapon?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Individual weapon training
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

They should always equip the weapon you tell them to use if there are weapons of that type available. Perhaps another dwarf is already using your only sword?

Another thing I've noticed is that dwarves will sometimes wrestle with enemies even when they have weapons handy. It was rather amusingly annoying to see my axedwarf, with axe in hand, train up to Competent wrestling against a zombie camel...I can only assume that he used the axe to put a lock on the camel and was trying to strangle it or something similar. However, I doubt this would happen much in sparring, given that "bouts" tend to be very short.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Well, if you go into the (m)ilitary menu, and press (w) for weapon, you can set weapons, armor and shields for all of your dwarves. If you set a soldier to wield a sword, he WILL get one. He might finish his latest sparring session bare-handed, but after that, if you have ordered him to wield a sword in the aforementioned way, he will go and get it.

If he doesn't, this means that although you might have swords, they are not available or out of reach.
If you have assigned a dwarf to recordkeeping (noble position) and set the accuracy of the count high enough, items that are out of reach are shown in red at the bottom of the appropriate stocks list (if you have pressed TAB).
Items that are used in a building (for instance weapon traps if we are talking of weapons), are shown in blue.
Forbidden, and melt-designated items are shown in purple.
And the rest is shown in yellowish-brown.

This is a bit confusing.
Why?
Because weapons already wielded (and armor already worn) are shown in the same color as unused weapons (armor). Only way to find out is to zoom to each weapon individually via the stocks screen

So, if you want to check out if this is the case:
press <z>, then <right> x3, <return>.
Now you are in the stocks screen.
Now find 'weapons' (first page, somewhere near the bottom) and move the cursor there.
press <TAB>.
Now you will see all individual weapons in the list to the right.
See if your swords are available.
Have fun!

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AKAnotu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

lets take a look at one of the Problem--I mean dwarves

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
ignore the text after, the program advertises itself...

ok, so she's a novice wrestler and axedwarf.

With an axe equipped, and has had it equipped for a year/half a year of sparring. she's still leveling up in wrestling though...

and I've had both of those like that the whole time

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

martinuzz cancels giving a sensible reply right away: being confused

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

I don't suppose you are using any tools like Dwarf companion or Tweak?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

She'll be listed as a wrestler until her skill with axes outstrips her skill in wrestling. Are you certain that her actual skill in wrestling is going up?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

AKAnotu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 02:54:00 pm »

yes, i'm sure. I keep getting messages about a month between that say: "Person X has become an axedwarf" then "Person X has become a wrestler"

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Another thing I've noticed is that dwarves will sometimes wrestle with enemies even when they have weapons handy. It was rather amusingly annoying to see my axedwarf, with axe in hand, train up to Competent wrestling against a zombie camel...I can only assume that he used the axe to put a lock on the camel and was trying to strangle it or something similar.</STRONG>

The wrestling skill also includes dodging hits. I'm pretty sure the skill gets a few points every time your dorf does so.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 03:29:00 pm »

What also could be the case, be it very unprobable:
Your dwarf trains with the axe, gets a minor wound to the hand or arm that makes him drop the axe, and continues wrestling. (dunno if it is possible for a brown wound to cause a weapon drop. Brown wounds don't make your dwarfs rest)
Or the wound heals instantly, but there is some wrestling done before the axe is picked up again

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

More likely it's the dodging thing.  All weapon disciplines train wrestling to a small degree.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

are any other dwarves still training wrestling?

it sort of stands to reason that if the axedwarf spars with a wrestler, he/she may end up having to wrestle their way out. (perhaps the wrestler keeps getting that axe arm in a lock and the axedwarf keeps trying to "break hold on right arm")

thats all i can think of anyway

How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

Ofcourse!
And twisting a weapon in a wound would count as wrestling too I suppose.
But no.. That isn't done while sparring now is it?

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

i think the thing that really matters is is the dwarf training up in other categories? i always train mine up high in wrestling anyways. i figure that they might as well be highly skilled in anything, so no matter what happens the still lay the smackdown on everyone in their way.
-Toast-_