Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trade and militarization  (Read 2033 times)

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trade and militarization
« on: August 13, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »

I have just built a new trade depot in light of the arrival of a couple dwarven mechants. However, I have yet to move any goods there, and I'm wondering if they'll wait until I have trinkets in the depot or leave quickly, dooming me to a probable death by starvation. Also, is there a way to give my dwarves weapons and have them carry them around while performing ordinary civilian duties or are weapons only carried by soldiers?
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trade and militarization
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 03:48:00 pm »

The traders will stay for most of the season no matter what you do (well, short of attacking them or something.)

And dwarves are supposed to carry whatever weapon you assign them in the units screen no matter what they're doing at the moment, I think...

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 04:48:00 pm »

I think so too, but it gets so hard to remember every little thing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 04:48:00 pm »

Also, with trade, is there a limit to the amount of an item that traders will take? I'm having difficulty trading away a large number of rock crafts for 5 units of cheese, whereas all the meat was relatively cheap to purchase.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »

Actually, I think cheese prices are really inflated.  You'll see once you get a broker.  Traders are only limited by weight, and it will tell you about that even without a broker.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 04:56:00 pm »

Well, it's too late to stop the sale now. What does (o)ffering items to the king do?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »

Nothing if you offer them to dwarves, since they can't attack you.  It's a req somewhere to make them matter.  For others, you only need of make offerings if you are afraid of getting attacked -- say, one of the merchants died.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 05:11:00 pm »

Oh, is there any reason to build a second trade depot?  Can you get more than one group of traders at once that way?  Could you eventually turn the front of your fortress into a huge bazaar, with trading groups from all over the world there at almost all times?

It would be interesting if after a certain point other civilizations would just set up permanent 'trading posts' at your depots that would receive regular shipments to pick up and supply goods.

Hmm...  I wonder, could dwarves eventually trade on their own initative, using money or items in their own possession to get things they need or want?  That could get really, really annoying, though...  Maybe just nobles would do it, since they're supposed to be annoying.

"This tame bird is ever so delighful... and it's not like we were using that dusty old anvil anyway."

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 05:16:00 pm »

Right now, dwarves just buy things from the shops you can build when the economy starts up, if you've seen those.  There's no micro dealing, it might be expensive to do that.

Second depots don't do anything.

Multiple groups of traders are supported, but it never happens.  This was going to happen once you get a county village in the adjacent map square on the world map, which is a v1 arc.  Then you'd get local traders all the time, and so on, allowing much more trade.  And also peasant revolts and so on.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 05:43:00 pm »

Maybe the game could track relations with the other dwarven fortresses, but instead of preventing war, good relations would make your nobles annoy you less, because of your political influence.

edit: Also, I just tried to kill a racoon with a soldier, and after deactivating him, he dropped his crossbow and bolts where he stood rather than take them with him.

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Cosmonot ]